Spare Tire Age Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grizzlyak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Yukon that has the original Firestone spare tire. It looks in good conditikn with no visible cracks, dry rot, or other degradations, and it holds its pressure, but it IS 20 years old. It has probably ever been on the road once. Should I just replace it with a new one, or could this tire still be a reliable spare? Some places I go, it might have to survive 50 miles of gravel roads and 150 miles of highway before being removed again.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. In a word “replace it”. The last thing you want after getting a flat is another flat, especially on gravel.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming rim sizes are the same, when you replace your tires, just rotate the best tire coming off the truck, to your spare tire rim. At least then its only a 2-6 years old.

I searched around on facebook and craigslist when I bought my Esky, that had no spare under it. Found a guy selling his rims from his 2015 silverado. Asked if he had the spare, said he did, and 20 bucks later, I had a spare!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Yukon that has the original Firestone spare tire. It looks in good conditikn with no visible cracks, dry rot, or other degradations, and it holds its pressure, but it IS 20 years old. It has probably ever been on the road once. Should I just replace it with a new one, or could this tire still be a reliable spare? Some places I go, it might have to survive 50 miles of gravel roads and 150 miles of highway before being removed again.
Definitely change it out. They still degrade and it's cheap now compared to the nightmare of losing the spare in a remote area.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming rim sizes are the same, when you replace your tires, just rotate the best tire coming off the truck, to your spare tire rim. At least then its only a 2-6 years old.

I searched around on facebook and craigslist when I bought my Esky, that had no spare under it. Found a guy selling his rims from his 2015 silverado. Asked if he had the spare, said he did, and 20 bucks later, I had a spare!
I gotta buy one more CL spare tire for a full set to do burnouts with!

OP
OP
G

grizzlyak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I guess I already knew the answer to my question, I just hate to throw away a seemingly perfectly good tire. But you're all correct. Better safe than sorry. Not sure why I didn't rotate old tires onto the spare. I change out to studs every winter, and go through tires pretty often, and had lots of opportunity. I just tossed 4 OK Goodyear AT's last season changeover. BTW, this 2001 Yukon has been the best, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and has 250k miles on it. Have been thinking about the new Yukon AT4. But new ones are hard to find right now with the chip shortage and prices are inflated.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I guess I already knew the answer to my question, I just hate to throw away a seemingly perfectly good tire. But you're all correct. Better safe than sorry. Not sure why I didn't rotate old tires onto the spare. I change out to studs every winter, and go through tires pretty often, and had lots of opportunity. I just tossed 4 OK Goodyear AT's last season changeover. BTW, this 2001 Yukon has been the best, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and has 250k miles on it. Have been thinking about the new Yukon AT4. But new ones are hard to find right now with the chip shortage and prices are inflated.
The new Yukon won’t be as nice as the older one in my opinion! Chevy seems to be going down hill pretty fast. Sad

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You cannot trust an old tire like that, it is liable to go BOOM on you and tear up all sorts of stuff in the process.
This is why you should try to find a spare rim also and get in the habit of doing 5 tire rotations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10