Spare removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Nope, at this point i cant even get the tool to the point where its supposed to go or even see where its supposed to go due to that plastic piece.

Is the tire sucked up tight, or hanging just a little so you can kind of "swing" or around?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
It's in there tight. No slack at all. At one point we had the winch rotating but it never lowered.

Even if you get it to start coming down, that stupid secondary latch is gonna be stuck and you'll end up fighting with that, too. I think if it were me, I'd put your jack to help hold the tire up and use a hole saw around where the cable comes through the bottom piece, if that makes sense. I'll look for a picture in a few minutes if you don't get what I mean.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wonder if you could let the air out the spare tire fully. then jack the wheel up tight, then finagle the holder part through the wheel.

OP
OP
K

KilluminatiDre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id cut that cable nipple end off with a cut off wheel, that lead end its likely the cable clamp. or cut through the spring area.

Yea im gonna try and cut that off with the dremel wheel when i get back home. It cuts through metal pretty easy. Ill let the air out too.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea im gonna try and cut that off with the dremel wheel when i get back home. It cuts through metal pretty easy. Ill let the air out too.

no need to let the air out if you cut the cable. but i would support it so it dont drop on you.

aces-n-eights

Reaction score
When I got my '06 the same thing had happened to the previous owner. He cut off the "ears" of the piece that spans across the hole in the spare. Replacing that part was cheaper than replacing the cable assembly. Just a suggestion...

As a side thought... Many new cars come with a can of Fix-A-Flat (or similar) and a compressor. Any thought to dumping the spare entirely and carrying those items?

OP
OP
K

KilluminatiDre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no need to let the air out if you cut the cable. but i would support it so it dont drop on you.

Ok I'll give it a shot

When I got my '06 the same thing had happened to the previous owner. He cut off the "ears" of the piece that spans across the hole in the spare. Replacing that part was cheaper than replacing the cable assembly. Just a suggestion...

As a side thought... Many new cars come with a can of Fix-A-Flat (or similar) and a compressor. Any thought to dumping the spare entirely and carrying those items?

That makes sense about the ears., I'll cut those off. I keep an air compressor with me in the truck so I do plan on ditching the spare. I just need to get fix a flat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20