So I finally swapped out my grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up a black grill with color matched surround during GM's year end sale last December along with the black lighted emblem kit. I finally spent an afternoon installing them last week and think it turned out pretty good. Was trying to save a buck (a little over $300 for the dealer to install both) but it took me a bit longer than I thought it would. Was about 3 hours start to finish and at times I was questioning my sanity as I was tugging hard AF to get the front bumper skin clips to pop free. Alas I succeeded and managed to not scratch anything or break any clips and everything went back together super easy.

My initial thoughts were oh that looks awesome! The color matched surround is spot on with the vehicles paint and the gloss black grill looks so much better than the chrome. The emblem looks cool but kind of disappointing at the same time. It only comes on when you have the headlights and/or the fog lights on. They should have set it up so it illuminates with the daytime running lights, and not need the headlights or fog lights to be on. If you turn on the fogs only that dims the daytime running lights and the emblem as well but at least you can have it sort of lit up without the headlights. I might see if I can figure out a way to get the emblem to illuminate at all times just like the drl...

IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3961.jpg

IMG_3964.jpg

IMG_3971.jpg

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! That’s never a good feeling tugging on those clips and having to hope for the best.

OP
OP
R32driver

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish gm offered the denali style grill all black w/ surrounds....
You could always get the grill and surrounds painted. I got a quote on that too but was worried about chipping which I don’t think the factory pieces will do

Trent88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wish GM would offer that as well. i took factory grill and had my local body shop paint match the surround and black out the mesh. I am impressed that you swapped the grill out your self with out taking the bumper off. i watched a video online and tried that but couldnt get all of the bottom clips free so ended up taking the entire front bumper off which made it super easy then.
yukon.jpg

OP
OP
R32driver

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish GM would offer that as well. i took factory grill and had my local body shop paint match the surround and black out the mesh. I am impressed that you swapped the grill out your self with out taking the bumper off. i watched a video online and tried that but couldnt get all of the bottom clips free so ended up taking the entire front bumper off which made it super easy then.
View attachment 365891
I was at the point where I thought taking the entire bumper skin off would be much easier too. I ended up using a tiny flatblade and was able to reach in under the grill and free up the lower clips and that gave me just enough clearance to swap the grills. The color matched surround is the way to go as it really changes the look of the vehicle but most folks wouldn't know it didn't come that way. Those are the best mods IMO.

Yours turned out great, looks really sharp!

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks amazing! I've long wanted to do this to my 2015, I'm just a bit intimidated with the disassembly and installation. I'm not as mechanically savvy as I used to be and find the whole process overwhelming-
That looks fantastic! Nicely done!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas