smoke from engine and antifreeze everywhere!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would be a bad idea to wash off the splashed coolant with distilled water all over the engine and what not?

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Regular water is fine for washing the engine and distilled goes into the engine. Distilled is just nice to clean out and extremely cheap to find a source of a leak versus putting coolant in over and over.
Hopefully it's just a cracked hose. Pair of pliers, a new hose and two minutes of your time and you're ready to go.

When you go to the auto store don't forget to get your coolant. Could be a simple thing to forget since you're focused on a hose and would not be fun to ride back.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at the shop now. mechanic took a quick look yhinks it could be a water pump failure. said hes let me know tomrrow

Bex914

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Get to work replacing the water pump and thermostat. Very normal issue. I've replaced at least 20 of them at work (ASE master technician). They're about as simple as they come. First time may take you 3 hours. Long handle combination wrench and a hammer to knock the fan clutch loose, believe all the bolts for the water pump are 10mm. May be a 13mm in there (don't remember) use green scotch brite pads to clean the engine block mating surfaces. Reverse order to install. Make sure you get new pump gaskets with the water pump. Use a pair of pliers for the clamps for the hoses.

Honestly a very simple job if you're at all mechanically inclined. If not any decent shop should be able to do the job.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get to work replacing the water pump and thermostat. Very normal issue. I've replaced at least 20 of them at work (ASE master technician). They're about as simple as they come. First time may take you 3 hours. Long handle combination wrench and a hammer to knock the fan clutch loose, believe all the bolts for the water pump are 10mm. May be a 13mm in there (don't remember) use green scotch brite pads to clean the engine block mating surfaces. Reverse order to install. Make sure you get new pump gaskets with the water pump. Use a pair of pliers for the clamps for the hoses.

Honestly a very simple job if you're at all mechanically inclined. If not any decent shop should be able to do the job.

yea i had the shop do it, i dont have a dedicated place to work on the car unless i can drive it. this issue i had no choice but one day i will do it. shes up and running again, actually a little smoother as well which wasnt expected. mechanic said that pump was on its way out for a while was just a matter of time. showed me the one that came out versus a new one. looked wild lol my pockets are kind of lighter but hey man honest work will bring it back in no time, gotta ask for some overtime lol

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
yea i had the shop do it, i dont have a dedicated place to work on the car unless i can drive it. this issue i had no choice but one day i will do it. shes up and running again, actually a little smoother as well which wasnt expected. mechanic said that pump was on its way out for a while was just a matter of time. showed me the one that came out versus a new one. looked wild lol my pockets are kind of lighter but hey man honest work will bring it back in no time, gotta ask for some overtime lol

Glad you got it sorted out. Still think you should've done it in a parking lot....

:mad3:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645