Slight squealing sound, only at low speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this. Mods, feel free to relocate.

Saturday I stared noticing an occasional and very slight squealing noise that seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle. Only hear it when vehicle is moving under 20 mph and typically only while beginning to accelerate from a stop or while coasting; as soon as I touch brakes, the sound stops. Sounds kinda like a very mild brake squeal but, again, it does not occur when braking.

I wondered if it could be a brake wear indicator. Today the dealer looked at all brakes front & rear and says there is ample material left on all pads---at least 70%. Nothing in the braking system is stuck, loose, binding, scraping or dragging. Only thing he could suggest is reconditioning the pads & rotors but based on what was observed he said he couldn't justify that action and would not try to sell me on it.

Any ideas?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Metallic pads? Probably just be brake dust. Mine was squealing before I cleaned them. I rotated the tires a couple weekends ago and sprayed everything down with brake parts cleaner while I had the wheels off. Hasn't squeaked since. Pretty common. If you don't wanna pull the wheels off, just blast the brakes through the wheel openings with the sprayer at the car wash.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a squeal lately. Turned out to be a seized guide pin that was causing my left rear pad to drag. Had to heat up the caliper bracket to get it out. Cleaned real good inside and lubed it like crazy. No more squeal

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two dealer visits later, they're telling me it's my brakes. I don't really buy it.

Plus, I swear I'm hearing squeaks and chirps while driving that I've never heard before. Wtf. Thinking I need to lube my bushings or replace them altogether.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia