New front brake and rotor squeal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdwood1111

Reaction score
Evening All,

So 2 weeks ago I replaced the front rotors and pads due to wear and vibration while stopping. I installed new premium centric rotors and posi quiet ceramics pads. I removed caliper sliding pins, wipes off and greased them with sly glide, applied it to the brake pads tabs and installed. Used the old pad and clamp to push in the caliper pistons and noticed the rubber seal bubbled out a bit. I massaged it back it and it seemed fine. I bleed the rear and front fluid and took it out and bed them with 4-5 stops from 40-45 down to 5-10 and then let them cool. Smelled like burning brakes but thought that was part of the process. Pedal was firm and truck stopped just fine.

Truck sat for a week and I drove it again last weekend and the right side seemed to smell a bit like burning again and a slight squeal. Sat again until yesterday and haven’t noticed a smell now but get a squeal after they get hot. Drove it again today and they are squealing under moderate load. Fine under light and heavy stopping but in between. Slight burning smell.

What should I check this weekend? I did everything correctly I think. Only thing was the pads had a sticker on the side that goes to the caliper that said pull off before install and it was sticky. I have never seen this before. Truck stops fine!

Any thoughts?

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand parts did you use?

I would just pull the caliper off and double check your work. Make sure you didn't over grease your sliding pins and that there is nothing inhibiting the motion of the sliding pin.

Another possibility is you could have a bad brake hose which would restrict fluid flow so that brakes could be stuck in a closed position

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening All,

So 2 weeks ago I replaced the front rotors and pads due to wear and vibration while stopping. I installed new premium centric rotors and posi quiet ceramics pads. I removed caliper sliding pins, wipes off and greased them with sly glide, applied it to the brake pads tabs and installed. Used the old pad and clamp to push in the caliper pistons and noticed the rubber seal bubbled out a bit. I massaged it back it and it seemed fine. I bleed the rear and front fluid and took it out and bed them with 4-5 stops from 40-45 down to 5-10 and then let them cool. Smelled like burning brakes but thought that was part of the process. Pedal was firm and truck stopped just fine.

Truck sat for a week and I drove it again last weekend and the right side seemed to smell a bit like burning again and a slight squeal. Sat again until yesterday and haven’t noticed a smell now but get a squeal after they get hot. Drove it again today and they are squealing under moderate load. Fine under light and heavy stopping but in between. Slight burning smell.

What should I check this weekend? I did everything correctly I think. Only thing was the pads had a sticker on the side that goes to the caliper that said pull off before install and it was sticky. I have never seen this before. Truck stops fine!

Any thoughts?
probably just need some good anti-squeal paste, I need to put some on mine

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evening All,

Any thoughts?
Why don't you rebuild the calipers? How many miles on the truck/calipers?

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Reaction score
Why don't you rebuild the calipers? How many miles on the truck/calipers?
That’s what I was thinking would be next. Rock auto had GM ones pretty cheap. I have 98k miles on the truck.

I’m going try and take them off and go through everything again and I’ll try the brake geese as mentioned above.

Brand was Centric. Used for many years on many vehicles with good results.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the "sticky stuff" that was used between the caliper piston and the inboard pad, but I always lightly grease the face of the caliper piston, and the inside of the caliper ears on the outboard pads.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Ever since I hit the back side of the caliper, caliper ears on the ends and caliper piston with the supplied or part store caliper grease, they’re silent.

The only other time I’ve had issues is swapping a set of pads and did not reinstall the stainless steel anti-rattle clips on the brake pad’s ears. Brotha, it didn’t make it a block before I knew they had to be on there.

3CD92103-E1B4-4DB9-8717-702FFE541BCE.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Reaction score
We’ll I just did the passenger side to start and I took the pads out, caliper bolts and regreased everything. I put some grease on the back of the pads and put everything back together. AND once it got hot, it’s now much worse! It’s squealing worse and it starts to smell again. I have no idea what to do next at this point to move forward. Have I toasted my just purchased brakes? New calipers?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could try some semi metallic pads instead of ceramic, that would be the most economical thing I think. I drive like a mad man so I wear out pads quicker than 99% of people and ceramic last me the longest but good semi-metallic (heavy-duty) pads are a close 2nd choice for me.
just an idea, "noise" results are unknown I think it's a 50/50 chance. there is a possibility it could be something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019