Shock Conversion question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassNali03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All

I've been a lurker for a while... Been searching this forum for information on the stock conversion for my 2003 Yukon Denali XL. I've decided to go with the Bilstien 4600 HD front and rear and bought the Moog Spring.

My question is, Do I need to add a Air lift bag for better comfortable ride or the spring is just fine? Any thoughts or comments is appreciated.

abishoff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your not doing a conversation. Just a stand maintenance replacement. Bilstien 4600 are a great improvement over the factory ride and will provide a nice smooth ride for a long time. If you'd like something firm and better for towing and the occasional off-roading then the Bilstien 5100 are a better choice. Air bags are only necessary if you are towing or hauling heavy loads. They are used to improve on road regular driving conditions.

chevyv8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
has anybody ever done the 4600 up front and the 5100 out back?

abishoff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anybody ever done the 4600 up front and the 5100 out back?
Unless you were towing I don't know why you'd want stiff ride on the rear and smoother ride on the front. Every time you went over a bump if you weren't towing it would like the front end down instead of absorbing the impact. The opposite would happen it you had a trailer on all the time, when the trailer pushed down, it would pop up the front.

abishoff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@abishoff so coming from an air ride system to regular Bilstein shocks is not considered a conversion?
Sorry I missed the Denali part. There are a bunch of air ride delete posts out there. You would only want to add an air ride system to level out the rear end and make a nicer ride will towing. Personally, with the Denali XL being so heavy, I'd go with the 5100's.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed the Denali part. There are a bunch of air ride delete posts out there. You would only want to add an air ride system to level out the rear end and make a nicer ride will towing. Personally, with the Denali XL being so heavy, I'd go with the 5100's.

Im running 4600's and trimmed z71 moog coils on the rear of my denali xl. Rides nice under normal circumstances. Planning to get the air lift kit and do the free travel mod before I tow or really load her down again though, as I was hitting the stops more than I liked with it full of bodies and gear on the roof and trailer hitch basket. That was a ton of extra weight though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinsbritton