Shaking above 50mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is correct. I am not talking about deformities or warping of the rotor. I talking about uneven wear. And yes, pads deposit material on (and into) the rotor. But it's not just the pads that wear. The rotor does, too, obviously, but not necessarily evenly. Like you said, it's dependent on the hardness of the steel vs. the pad. And how do we harden, or temper, steel? You guessed it, we heat it up and cool it down again. The point to which we heat it combined with the rate at which we cool it determine the characteristics of the steel, hardness, brittleness, etc. This is a molecular change in the steel, and, like it or not, some parts of your rotor are harder than others.

So, it's all a little of both. I guess the metal that those Power Slot rotors were made of was a higher quality with a more even consistency than what the Power Stop rotors are made of.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
So, it's all a little of both. I guess the metal that those Power Slot rotors were made of was a higher quality with a more even consistency than what the Power Stop rotors are made of.

Yeah, and who knows what goes into some of that steel in different factories... Different place heat treat differently, blah blah blah. I do think there's an element of getting what you pay for. Which ones of yours cost more?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and who knows what goes into some of that steel in different factories... Different place heat treat differently, blah blah blah. I do think there's an element of getting what you pay for. Which ones of yours cost more?

The Power Slots cost more, but this was back in 2004 when such stuff was new to the mainstream. Actually, those "frozen" Power Slots were a first-run/special order deal when cryo-tempering was new to them. I was kind of a guinea pig for them for the S10 rotors. Power Slot was a bigger name brand that was around for a while. Apparently, they're now Power Stop, but I don't think they're the same quality.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
The Power Slots cost more, but this was back in 2004 when such stuff was new to the mainstream. Actually, those "frozen" Power Slots were a first-run/special order deal when cryo-tempering was new to them. I was kind of a guinea pig for them for the S10 rotors. Power Slot was a bigger name brand that was around for a while. Apparently, they're now Power Stop, but I don't think they're the same quality.

Sounds like the way most stuff goes these days. Cryo treating does help, though. It definitely creates more martensite in the steel, so its resistance to wear (like I was referencing earlier) is huge. But, of course, this all depends on the makeup of the steel in the first place, which is way more important than how cold you get it after quenching.

On a side note, I haven't decided on rotors to use for my NNBS upgrade yet, but if I can figure out whose steel comes from where, it'll certainly play a role in which way I go.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't warped rotors just make it shake when braking? Is it doing it while driving too?

Scooty

Reaction score
I once had a problem of truck shaking at a certain speed and would quit when I got past that speed....turned out to be a tire with a broken/defective belt. New replacement tire fixed it. They found it when I took it in to balence them and that tire would take a ton of weights.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a shake that starts around 65 and just had my tires balanced but it didn't help. The shop said my front bearings have play so I have new Timken hubs on the way.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Red Rocket I have the same shimmy. 65+. My ball joints, UCA's and hubs are brand new. Having tires balanced and rotated helped but it is still there. It's definitely not warped rotors, as it doesn't shake when braking. Only thing that isn't new on this front end is idler bracket and gearbox. I'm stumped.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Red Rocket I have the same shimmy. 65+. My ball joints, UCA's and hubs are brand new. Having tires balanced and rotated helped but it is still there. It's definitely not warped rotors, as it doesn't shake when braking. Only thing that isn't new on this front end is idler bracket and gearbox. I'm stumped.
Did you check your Idler and Pitman arm for looseness? Tie rods too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick