"Service 4WD" - Master Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checking in. Same story as the previous hundreds of posts. Service 4wd. Dealer dropping off a loaner in the AM and taking my vehicle for the weekend. Sucks, but kinda expected. Just unde 20,000 miles.
Welcome to the party

[emoji19]

Kerr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
two 15 denali's both same crap, along with other stuff..

had both of them over a year now, and both seem to have the same issues, GM dropped the ball :(

Not to mention the transmission swap, wifi power running boards all the crap they changed after the first run of them...

dirt-diver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What the hell GM?

Where the hell is GM on this issue? It's been months and months, and... months and months, they have no info for dealers. I get empty stares when I ask for updates at my local garage. And GM's empty promises on this forum were just that, empty!!! Hear that? ... crickets ... that's the sound of GM working on this issue... They're not!

They're obviously so inept that they're unable to solve this seemingly simple issue. Out of all the engineering they do to create automobiles, this issue is the toughest? Hard to believe. And they still can't even get these things produced and off the line. They're continually dropping the ball. Over, and over, and over.

Just as Kerr mentioned, between the somewhat-major updates they did after all their excited/loyal customers bought the first batch of 2015's, the epic shit-show GM is performing regarding 4WD, and the piss-poor / dangerous adaptive-cruise control, I'm completely disgusted with GM.

(I could elaborate on the adaptive-cruise, but that POS just about killed my wife and I on the freeway this weekend. Our Chrysler 300 on the other hand was rock solid.)

General Motors, can you hear me?!?! You've lost a very loyal customer with this crap. If we wouldn't lose our ass, I'd sell this heap of shit you made.

rjr

Reaction score
A few months ago I posted saying my transfer case software was updated on Feb 2, and asked if anyone whose was updated on or after that date has had a problem. No one has responded affirmatively, which seems to indicate GM may have solved the problem. As of right now, I have not had the problem recur.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I got the last update too last week and even the grinding noise is going, so finally I think they got it.

JohnRI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting. I took Yukon into the dealer for oil change service last week and asked about status of the issue. Service manager said still no fix (at least as of Tuesday) and that GM believes that the problem is temperature related. My last update was late January and I mostly remembered to change back to 2WD before shutting off engine.

So either the service department does not have the latest information, an updated fix came out later in the week or it is really temperature related so those of us in the snow regions won't have a problem until next season. I have to take my 2015 Sierra 2500HD in for service tomorrow and ask the service manager to check with GM. No Auto option on that vehicle so no issue last winter.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I took Yukon into the dealer for oil change service last week and asked about status of the issue. Service manager said still no fix (at least as of Tuesday) and that GM believes that the problem is temperature related. My last update was late January and I mostly remembered to change back to 2WD before shutting off engine.

So either the service department does not have the latest information, an updated fix came out later in the week or it is really temperature related so those of us in the snow regions won't have a problem until next season. I have to take my 2015 Sierra 2500HD in for service tomorrow and ask the service manager to check with GM. No Auto option on that vehicle so no issue last winter.
They do last update on my car last month when I bring for 22,500 miles services after that the grinding noise is going and I think they finally fix is running very good after that.
My complain that is resolve now I have few months left before a trade for 2016.

jeremyp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The last time this happened with my 15 Tahoe I was also told that they believe it to be temperature related. I have forgotten to change it back to 2wd and left it in auto a few times since it's warmed up and it hasn't happened. I guess we'll see how it goes...Regardless, it's very frustrating.

JP

John1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
4wd solved

I was getting "service 4wd" message. Vehicle was stuck in "auto" but ran fine. Took it in for regular service. They reprogrammed transfer case. Now everything seems okay.

By the way, the service manager told me to keep it in 2wd unless it is slippery or snowy. He said there is less wear on the transfer case.
Good luck to all with this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645