"Service 4WD" - Master Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FMS1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Following up I got my 2016 Yukon Denali back from the dealer today. Said they had to replace an actuator that was burnt. Not certain what caused this problem so will see how long it works. They did suggest leaving in 2-WD unless need 4-WD like wet conditions or other. They also replaced airbag due to recall.

nitehawk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2016 Denali XL (only 4000km) popped up with the error message on the 28th dec. Mine seems to have come on when I was backing up. And as luck would have it ..my dealer is closed until tomorrow. I am hoping a one time flash is all it needs

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Update,,, OK took it to the dealer yesterday and the reprogrammed the unit and all is well so far. .my dealer has not heard of any other late yr 2016 ' models locking up.. guess someone had to be first. Will keep it updated

Well it has been a couple of weeks and I have tried everything I could think of to jam the 4WD including change it when in reverse... so far so good.

Last edited:

2manycars4me

Reaction score
I scheduled an appointment for some work and the dealer said I had a recall on the 4WD system. I checked and I don't see anything about a recall anywhere. Anyone seen one?

Tony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having an even worse problem with the 4 wheel drive system on my 16" Escalade.. When i switch it to 4WD, the suv loses power, makes a groaning noise, and shakes upon acceleration.. Then when i put it back into 2WD, it runs perfectly.. I guess a defective driveshaft? What a shame, if only has 650 miles on it ...

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having an even worse problem with the 4 wheel drive system on my 16" Escalade.. When i switch it to 4WD, the suv loses power, makes a groaning noise, and shakes upon acceleration.. Then when i put it back into 2WD, it runs perfectly.. I guess a defective driveshaft? What a shame, if only has 650 miles on it ...
Tony after they reprogram the transfer case it work perfect, it happens to everyone here you are not the only person affected by this problem.
My Denali has 52k miles and Las time happen was at 11k, after that all good no more problems.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tony after they reprogram the transfer case it work perfect, it happens to everyone here you are not the only person affected by this problem.
My Denali has 52k miles and Las time happen was at 11k, after that all good no more problems.

Oh, I thought my case was unique, because from the few pages I have read on this thread, everyone was just getting the "service 4WD" light on their dashboard.. I didnt read anything from anyone here, that was actually having loss of power and shaking and noise when in 4WD.. But i didn't read all the posts, only about 2-3 pages..

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I thought my case was unique, because from the few pages I have read on this thread, everyone was just getting the "service 4WD" light on their dashboard.. I didnt read anything from anyone here, that was actually having loss of power and shaking and noise when in 4WD.. But i didn't read all the posts, only about 2-3 pages..
By patient with the problem they will fixed for you.
I'm about to build another but this time is going to be a ESV from Cadillac

joexyz98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are a few threads in different areas of the forum regarding the "Service 4WD" issue that many of us are dealing with on our 2015 Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban trucks. To date, there is no fix available and owners are just being advised to drive their vehicles in 2WD mode until told otherwise.

This is a clear safety issue and I am discussing it with a well-known automotive weblog that will help get the word out to current and potential owners of these vehicles.

So...if you have experienced the "Service 4WD" issue please chime in briefly as I am curious just how many of us there are here (and on the way) and it will help with documentation.

Thank you,
Scott

hey , my 2003 yukon just started displaying it a couple days ago ,it hasnt been used for some time now any jest-ions on what to do about it

joexyz98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i was told to check for hub bearing being loose by moving top and bottom of tires to see if they're loose and they are not loose no oil from unit is present ,i have noticed the indicator lights
dont light up , any other suggestions?

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem on an 07 Yukon XL. When the auto 4wd was active for snow or rain. It wouldn't go back to 2wd and got the error message.
This is what I used to do. Stop the truck and make sure there is plenty of room for you to go back about 30ft or more. Stop and switch to 2wd.
It worked every time.
Old trick from the 80s trucks. The system needs to desingage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout