Scammed by mechanic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hulk161

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats up guys been a min since I posted. Wanted to get some feedback about a situation.

Back in November 2019 took my 2004 Denali with 159k at the time to a mechanic that was recommended by a co worker. I've dealt with him before and although his practices were strange example like pulling prices for work off the top of his head but I gave him the benefit of being 70 years old and him saying he's been a mechanic all his life credit. So I brought it in for the heat not blowing and a stability warning across the dash. I had brought it to him for that issue before and he told me that there was a issue with my traction control so he would take care of it. As time went on and the issues weren't getting fixed but I didn't bother him because luckily I have another truck so I called myself being patient. Come April he tells me all he's waiting for is a programming guy to program the computer and the stability issue should be resolved. Id call every weekend and he would give a excuse saying he's waiting on the guy, covid, parts delay due to covid the whole nine yards. At this point I'm pissed but he's got the truck and I don't want to make this a bigger issue. He then tells me that my brakes are bad all around but he'd done that back last summer so don't worry about it he'd take care of it. He then tells me that the exhaust system is corroded and ready to fall off and since its in the air do I want him to take care of it. I of course say yes. Every week he gave a excuse since the summer that the truck would be ready but no success. Finally yesterday I said this is enough and I called him straight out said enough is enough he replied well I'm under your steering wheel now and we should have the issue resolved. I told him straight out no thats it I'm coming to pick it up. So upon arriving the first thing I checked was the heat. The heat was blowing but only on defrost, the control module would not change to regular vents or floor. I told him and his response was well you need a new one. I told him well thats why I brought it to you. At that point I just wanted to get out of there. I looked at my current mileage and it's now at 172,642. When I bought it there was exactly 150k, I only use it for work and I live 13 mins from work. I gave it to him in November with 159k. He's driven it more than I have. At this point I'm more than pissed and definitely looking into taking this guy to court.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Can you prove what the mileage was when he took possession of it? Undeniable proof? Did you look at the exhaust that he supposedly replaced? You can tell just by looking at it. Pay him anything?
What did he say when you brought up the mileage discrepancy? That's unbelieveable--but totally believable. Unreal.

OP
OP
hulk161

hulk161

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you prove what the mileage was when he took possession of it? Undeniable proof? Did you look at the exhaust that he supposedly replaced? You can tell just by looking at it. Pay him anything?
What did he say when you brought up the mileage discrepancy? That's unbelieveable--but totally believable. Unreal.

My only proof is I got a oil change from jiffy lube on November 15th 2019. I took it to him at the end of November 2019. I plan on going to jiffy lube today and getting all my prior oil changes for proof of mileage plus getting one just to be safe. I have a prior receipt from him in August of 2019 with 150k miles as well. The exhaust he did show to me that it was eroding and basically just holding on. I did pay him for all the work he supposedly did. The traction control button does not even work now when I push it. I think he just disabled it trying to get the service stability warningbto go away. He was suppose to take care of the rear air and heat as well and that wasn't done. Its blowing air now but is just air no heat or not controllable. I already scheduled appointment at a more reputable mechanic on the 21st during my vacation to go thru what this guy did. No I haven't contacted him about the mileage because he's full of shit and really don't want to ever deal with the guy unless I have a good case to take him to court. Based off of what I researched I can sue him for work not done based off another mechanics opinion and I can get him on the mileage. I have to get a estimate from a car rental on how much the rate would be with the mileage he used

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after a week i would have been driving by and pestering regularly. the year thing was entirely self inflicted and the work being done shouldn't have taken more than 2 months with the extended time frames of covid deliveries. i was ordering an exhaust system, carburetor and other parts for a 79 corvette earlier this year and nothing took longer than a week. patience is one thing letting this draw out for a year is just foolishness even if it was a friendly elderly old man. you easily could have gotten time frame estimates for the work he was doing for free from other legitimate shops that would have alerted you that something fishy was going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts