Rust at 1,500 miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glundblad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We traded in a 2002 & 2003 on a 2011 tahoe. We took delivery in about October. It had about 7 miles on it when we bought it. I have always liked tahoes.

Shortly after we had it, we noticed rust starting to form on the passenger side under the rubber door seal (actually, it is at the joint of the two seals). It probably had about 1500 miles at that time.

We took it to the dealer and they took photos. Today, I noticed it was doing the same thing on the driver side. It is now up to 3k miles and we are still running the factory oil. We followed up with the dealer and they said it wasnt covered under warranty and that they could arrange for us to get an estimate for repairs from someone.

The dealer in our town was recently bought out by a bunch of ****** so I really doubt they would fix it correctly even if they said they would.

Our salesman said it was because we live on a dirt road. It is a terrible dirt road too. The problem is the area that is rusting doenst get exposed to the road.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on what I can do to get it fixed? I assume GM wouldnt do anything about it either.

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
holy crap rust? my hoe has 170xxx and only has a lil surface ruston the roof. u must live in the north. i would soda blast the part and then if it has eaten anything then i would bond n sand then prime and paint again. the best thing to do is get it fixed and move to tx:)

OP
OP
G

glundblad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I should have clarified, yes I am in Northern Indiana, Columbia City specifically. But it doesnt snow in October & November (at least not this year). It started to rust before it snowed.

The last two lasted for a very long time. Rust was starting to form in the door seams on the '02 but none on the '03.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hit up the GM Reps on this site, they have an 800 number they can have you call and get that fixed under warranty ASAP!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...that definitely should not be happening!!

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
i can see if the paint was chipped and exposed metal started rusting. But on a 011? i think there is a 7 year 100k warranty on corrosion defects.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that definitely shouldn't be happening.......mine is going on 7 years old and doesn't have a lick of surface rust.....can't say the same for the underbody though......damn salt........

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
That is a bummer. Have any pics of rust? I am curious to see what a rusting 3000 mile vehicle looks like.

OP
OP
G

glundblad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hit up the GM Reps on this site, they have an 800 number they can have you call and get that fixed under warranty ASAP!

Could someone direct me on how to get in contact with GM?

What would motivate the dealer to not want to do the right thing? GM reimburses dealers for warranty repairs. I dont understand why the dealer would baulk at fixing it?

Any dealer would fix it under warranty. Correct? I wouldnt need to take it to the one I bought it from?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a user on here names GM Customer Service. Send them a PM and see what they can do. A lot of times they can talk to someone an get you fixed up :waytogo:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redoak76

Latest posts