AC evaporator calls it quits at 32K miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ssgswole

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently took my 21 Yukon in for regular service and the AC stopped blowing cold after a couple days of picking it up. Take it back in for service and they tell me that they need to replace the evaporator and recharge the system. They wanna charge me 3800 for everything. I've only got 32k miles on it and I drive it like a soccer mom. Should the evaporator be going out at 32k miles?

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say that's not normal. I'd see if they can do some customer appreciation thing though GM to avoid paying for the full cost.

I had a 2017 Acadia with the same issue in 2020...evaporator went out at 42k miles. Complained and they covered the labor and I only had to pay for parts. It was still a $1,400 bill but it was better than the full cost.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take it GM doesn't do the 3yr 36k bumper to bumper coverage anymore?

right off the gm website for all 2016 and newer
NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY

GMC vehicles registered in the U.S.A. are covered for 3 years/36,000 miles (whichever comes first). The complete vehicle is covered from bumper-to-bumper —including tires, towing to your nearest GMC dealer and cosmetic corrosion resulting from defects. Repairs will be made to correct any defect in materials or workmanship. In addition, rust-through corrosion will be covered for 6 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first).

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be covered under warranty. If not, take it to an HVAC shop and ask them to look it over. Evaporator leaks are not easy to find, without dash removal. I highly doubt the dealer dug into it and found the evaporator leak point.

Your problem could also be a heater blend door actuator. Proper diagnosis is key and I would get a second opinion.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently took my 21 Yukon in for regular service and the AC stopped blowing cold after a couple days of picking it up. Take it back in for service and they tell me that they need to replace the evaporator and recharge the system. They wanna charge me 3800 for everything. I've only got 32k miles on it and I drive it like a soccer mom. Should the evaporator be going out at 32k miles?
Was this at the dealer, or an independen shop? As others have said, should still be within the 36k mile warranty; but depending on the date this particular vehicle was palced in service, you could be past 3 years.

OP
OP
ssgswole

ssgswole

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I take it GM doesn't do the 3yr 36k bumper to bumper coverage anymore?

right off the gm website for all 2016 and newer
NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY

GMC vehicles registered in the U.S.A. are covered for 3 years/36,000 miles (whichever comes first). The complete vehicle is covered from bumper-to-bumper —including tires, towing to your nearest GMC dealer and cosmetic corrosion resulting from defects. Repairs will be made to correct any defect in materials or workmanship. In addition, rust-through corrosion will be covered for 6 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first).
My warranty expired in November of 23 and it doesn't sound like they will extend me a courtesy.

OP
OP
ssgswole

ssgswole

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was this at the dealer, or an independen shop? As others have said, should still be within the 36k mile warranty; but depending on the date this particular vehicle was palced in service, you could be past 3 years.
Dealer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts