Rumble noise when decelerating only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a Ujoint or Hub going bye bye. Quick and dirty check for the hubs is jack front wheels off ground just to where they arent touching and grab tire at 12 and 6 oclock and rock tire inward and outward from both points. If the hub is bad you will feel the play. At 9 and 3 oclock you might get a false indication if there is enough play in your tie rods and ball joints. Lets hope its not the rearend but it very well could be.
I will check it out and report back. Foot of snow on the ground right now.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just forced myself to go and grab the driveshaft and I felt zero play in the u joints. Not saying that isn’t the issue. Need to get it in the air.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Said screw it and just ordered u joints. I am asking for a long day anyways. Let you know how it turns out. Let me k ow if you all have any other suggestions. Will look at the wheel hubs soon too. Since I have no issues in acceleration. I am placing bets on u joints. Famous last words though. I see endless chats on line talking about this issue with no resolve. Hopefully I fix and report back with the actual issue.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Said screw it and just ordered u joints. I am asking for a long day anyways. Let you know how it turns out. Let me k ow if you all have any other suggestions. Will look at the wheel hubs soon too. Since I have no issues in acceleration. I am placing bets on u joints. Famous last words though. I see endless chats on line talking about this issue with no resolve. Hopefully I fix and report back with the actual issue.
My bet is on your one of your differential carrier bearings. If you're running in either 4WD auto or 4WD, try running it in 2WD to see if the noise goes away. If it does, then it's the rear. The best way to diagnose this is with a set of chassis ears. Any good driveline shop will have these and it will prolly cost $120 or so for the Dx. Well worth the money IMHO.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bet is on your one of your differential carrier bearings. If you're running in either 4WD auto or 4WD, try running it in 2WD to see if the noise goes away. If it does, then it's the rear. The best way to diagnose this is with a set of chassis ears. Any good driveline shop will have these and it will prolly cost $120 or so for the Dx. Well worth the money IMHO.
I have tried going from 2WD and 4WD. Originally noticed it in 2WD and no change when swapping from one to the other. I never put it in AUTO. I will call around and talk to a driveline shop and see what they offer. Thank you.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright all. Need more help.

Got the Yukon in the air in the shop. Push pull everything and nothing feels worn out.

Said screw it I have the parts and replaced the u joints. No joy in fixing the problem. Went to the store and got new rear diff gasket and oil just to get a look into it.

Addition trouble shooting info. The vibration is there even when in neutral.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright all. Need more help.

Got the Yukon in the air in the shop. Push pull everything and nothing feels worn out.

Said screw it I have the parts and replaced the u joints. No joy in fixing the problem. Went to the store and got new rear diff gasket and oil just to get a look into it.

Addition trouble shooting info. The vibration is there even when in neutral.
Grab those front wheels when it's up the air and give 'em a good shake from side to side. Front wheel bearings on these is a common problem. Also an easy fix.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grab those front wheels when it's up the air and give 'em a good shake from side to side. Front wheel bearings on these is a common problem. Also an easy fix.
Front wheel bearings you should feel in the steering wheel and/or noise would change turning left or right.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front wheel bearings you should feel in the steering wheel and/or noise would change turning left or right.
Nothing in the steering wheel!!! However I was able to take it to a super open parking lot and try a wide turn. It went away when making a right turn. .

Wheel bearing on order. Both sides bc why not.

Btw u joints are way easier then I ever thought.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing in the steering wheel!!! However I was able to take it to a super open parking lot and try a wide turn. It went away when making a right turn. .

Wheel bearing on order. Both sides bc why not.

Btw u joints are way easier then I ever thought.
Aren't they? Super easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tadsher

Latest posts