Rough Idle/Running Rich/Gas Smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NDGuy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A few months ago my Yukon started running very rich. At idle ONLY I will have a miss you can feel but it won't register on the tachometer. Idle in Drive is only around 600 RPM (seem low). The last few mornings it's been around 25-30 degrees, I go out and start my truck to let it warm up and the exhaust just reeks of gas. It basically smells like a snow blower with the choke all the way on.

And lastly, a few times when I've been on the highway and had to slow down somewhat quickly (from around 55-60 mph) the engine seems like it floods because the smell of gas will over take the cabin.

I bought new spark plugs/wires, fuel filter, air filter, and a distributor cap/rotor to do a tune up but I want to figure out what the problem is first before I put the new plugs and everything in. I haven't checked my plugs yet but I suspect they'll look pretty black.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Just do a full service. I was running oober rich and was getting seriously like 5mpg but i did fuel filter, converted to an air cleaner assembly and did all the plugs n wires. That helped me. My truck was running richer than carlos slim or bill gates lol

OP
OP
N

NDGuy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to mention its a 95 yukon. 350 TBI

Also, when I do the fuel filter which fuse should I pull for the pump? I want to just pull the fuse and crank the engine a few times to bleed the line

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I run a tbi aswell. Like i said i would consider converting to one stud and get an air cleaner

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is loping at ilde worst in drive but still have good accelaration put new EGR valve on new rotor i cleaned distridutor contacts,spark plugs still gaped correct. Now if i'm correct while truck is running if i move the throttle at the TBI the EGR valve should have some movement but it don't the tube does have some vacuum going to the EGR valve .
No check engine light on but i will check any way i'm at a loss on what's going on:(