2018 Yukon SLE Rough Idle/Pulsating idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erikf555

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I hope someone may know what is going on here because my shop couldn’t find any problem.

It has had a rough idle pretty much since I bought it with 20k miles. The idle also pulsates when starting even after I have driven it. At operating temperature when restarting the idle will pulsate from 1000RPM’s to about 1300RPM’s about 8 to 10 times before it settles down to normal idle RPM’s think 500RPM.

Clean K&N air filter and I cleaned the throttle body, still does it.

Anyone know what to check next?

I sincerely appreciate any advice!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Might check the Idle Air Control function on the throttle body.

OP
OP
E

Erikf555

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Might check the Idle Air Control function on the throttle body.
Is that something that can be done in the driveway or is it a scanner/code thing that a shop has to do?

CaptainMurray

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Driveway, take the air intake to the throttle body off and clean with throttle body cleaner or replace it for $40. 1709674709008.png

koachdaddy

Reaction score
You mentioned the purchase mileage but not current mileage.

I have read about motor mount replacements so you may want to verify that those are intact.

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no idle control valve on a 2018, it just opens the throttle blade to adjust idle air. Assuming the tune is stock and someone didn't mess any settings up, it sounds like a textbook vacuum leak. When you first start the truck, it holds the throttle open a pre-set amount. If you have a vacuum leak, the extra air will make it idle high and surge like that after start ups, until the truck has time to gradually figure out the throttle opening and timing needed, to lower the rpms down to the commanded rpm setting in the computer. Should be easy to troubleshoot with a live data scanner. Things like the truck adding lots of fuel on the fuel trims, as well as commanded vs actual idle correction data will show the probability of a vacuum leak or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar