Rocket Man's 2008 Bagged CC Silverado Build AKA "THE MACHINE"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well all I can say to anybody who has thought about pulling their cracked dash and repairing it is DON'T. This is the most stupid repair I've ever done. It is the most difficult part I've pulled in a long long time, and it ended up cracking worse. As in like 4-5 new cracks. Plus the part that goes between the windshield and dash cracked when I was pulling it out. I thought I'd just see what that one cost, thinking maybe I'd just buy a new one and repair the dash. It's about $300 so f that. Anyway I WILL fix this stupid thing and reinstall it. I'm pretty angry that I didn't just live with it though. I just checked my local dealership and the main dash part is nearly $600. The entire design of this is just plain ridiculous, from how weak it is to how hard it is to R&R. here's a few pics of the process of removal. I'm just getting started here, and you can see the other part I broke. It can be fixed thankfully.

IMG_8333.JPG IMG_8334.JPG IMG_8336.JPG IMG_8337.JPG IMG_8338.JPG

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's more cracks, and what the truck looks like with it removed. They could have made this in 2 pieces with the lower part able to stay in the truck instead of having to tear so much apart. Stupid design, and it doesn't help that I have my air controls and all the aftermarket stereo wiring to deal with. I sure was wrong when I thought the pickups were any easier than the SUV's.

IMG_8339.JPG IMG_8342.JPG IMG_8343.JPG IMG_8344.JPG

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took mine out, and put the new one in without issue. I posted pics in my build thread. Just gotta be careful :p

rXGmKJM.jpg

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took mine out, and put the new one in without issue. I posted pics in my build thread. Just gotta be careful :p

rXGmKJM.jpg
You bought a new one? That wouldn't be as bad as trying to fix this one, but I am not paying $550 for that thing unless I have to. I think maybe I got spoiled working on the NBS. I had that dash off in minutes! I had a helluva time getting this one off after everything was loose- it wouldn't come off from around the driver side. It seemed the column was in the way. I think that's where a couple more cracks came from. I hope if I reinforce it enough it won't crack again going in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@NathanJax I've just read 50 pages of your build thread my man and still haven't got to the dash but it's interesting reading so thanks for the entertainment. I wasn't on here back in '12 when you did all that work on the Yukon but nice job. I guess I'll run into the dash install eventually.:cool:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@NathanJax I've just read 50 pages of your build thread my man and still haven't got to the dash but it's interesting reading so thanks for the entertainment. I wasn't on here back in '12 when you did all that work on the Yukon but nice job. I guess I'll run into the dash install eventually.:cool:
His pickup build thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belveman