Reverse lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matsu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do cops remove the reverse lights?? On my 2011 SSV there are no bulbs in there at all.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the state, inspection laws might not require reverse lights. For example, here in North Carolina you do not need reverse lights to pass inspection.

I wonder if they were just missed after removing strobes, or maybe even the assigned officer took out some super bright LED's they purchased themselves (and didn't replace with a standard bulb). Either way, I'd put some bright LED's in there.......love mine.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Likely just pulled out when they were taking the strobes out. No department will remove reverse lights to be stealthy. The liabilities are too high. What if they were in a parking lot , backed up and then flattened someone because they didn't know the cop vehicle was backing up? Lawsuit city.

medicop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since the rear back up light and brake lights flash from the factory they may have removed them if they didn't want white to the rear or they were interfering with colored strobe/LEDs in that housing.

Joeyhosmanole

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I suppose they could to avoid someone being able to tell if you are backing up or changing direction. We used to have cut off switches for brake lights.

Howdy Mike, I hope you're still active here and can help me with this. Or if another member sees this and can help feel free to chime in.

I bought a 2011 SSV and it appears that it may have had a switch to kill the brake lights like Mike mentioned.

Problem is I see no visible switch and have no brake lights. Fuses, tail lights, bulbs are good to go.

Any help you can provide for finding where the kill switch may have been wired is greatly appreciated.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Howdy Mike, I hope you're still active here and can help me with this. Or if another member sees this and can help feel free to chime in.

I bought a 2011 SSV and it appears that it may have had a switch to kill the brake lights like Mike mentioned.

Problem is I see no visible switch and have no brake lights. Fuses, tail lights, bulbs are good to go.

Any help you can provide for finding where the kill switch may have been wired is greatly appreciated.

Does your cruise control work? If not, you might just have a bad brake switch.

spectralen

Reaction score
Take a test light to the switch and the wires going to and from. You should be able to eliminate or confirm the whole switch area as a problem with a test light.