Replacing rear coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Question for the gurus in here i am replacing the rear coils on my tahoe with some new moog ones in hopes of restoring my smooth ride. I understand that it is a simple process and ill be able to handle it no issues but i have not been able to find weather or not a spring compressor will be needed. Seems in my reading i drop the shock bolts the sway links and they pretty much fall out ....is this correct or should i be renting the compressor.

Marv02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Compressor needed Jack up the from the frame use some jack stands under the frame don't for get to block the front wheels.

I remove the rear tires give you more room to get in there makes life that much easier.

Put the jack under the axle remove the lower shock bolt and nut remove the sway bar link lower the jack reach up and pull the spring out.

Install the new springs and put it back together.

frankenstien

Reaction score
i just recently did this, with z71 springs and 1.5 inch spacers...

what i did is probably considered a bit redneck-ish

i removed the spare for more room, disconnected the shocks, sway bar links, panhard bar, and the abs wires that are attached via clamp on the inner wheel well

then i put a ball hitch in the trailer receiver upside down, ball down, hooked to it with a piece of chain and hooked it with my engine hoist. blocked the front wheels, lifted it untill i could see the springs move, put jack stands under the frame before going under it with the hoist attached, i was able to get mine up high enough to put the z71 springs with spacers in with only having to push up a little to get the whole thing in.

probably sounds stupid, but it worked great

OP
OP
T

tate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome thanks guys ill get them thrown in this weekend fingers crossed that the bad springs didnt ruin my new bilstein shocks

AA1PR

Reaction score
go with moog 81069 that is the Z71 coil,

MOOG rep told me "so remember #81071 for XL & for heavy duty applications #81069 with 4WD & tow packages "

ATIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lift done.

Got everything put in. The coil spring compressors were vital to getting the springs in my truck. Had the truck 2 1/2' in the air on oversized jack stands, unbolted shocks and sway bar links, had to disconnect the cross bar that goes from the upper right side to the lower left side of the rear end as well as the brake lines and still needed the springs to be 75% of the way compressed to fit with the 2" spacers I put in. It looks great, but took some time. BTW, the old springs practically fell out when I disconnected the shocks and sway bar links.

Also I am going to need the extended sway bar links to level out my sway bar. Gonna go with the Warrior WAR800039.

hlO7TVnbj

Last edited: