Replacing Blower Motor Resistor

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by nimrodcs, Apr 22, 2010.

1. SunlitComet

SunlitComet OBS Jedi-Do Good

Name:
    none
    that relays determines if slower speeds on blower from switch and resistor work or it connects directly to system voltage for high speed. you have a multimeter around I presume.

2. swensor

swensor TYF Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Problem solved! After cleaning the contacts on the plug from the wiring harness that goes to the switch, I silver soldered the contacts, as they looked a bit heat damaged. When I plugged everything back together, eureka! In retrospect, I didn't need the resistor or the relay, but still saved a couple hundred $ over what the dealer estimated it would cost to have it repaired.

3. SunlitComet

SunlitComet OBS Jedi-Do Good

Name:
    none
    They actually sell those pigtails with terminals and connector if it will make you feel better about perhaps just replacing it. They get burned up becuase of the current and vibration.

4. jathon0815

jathon0815 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Brian

I had this same issue. Only the HI setting on my blower switch worked. Found this thread and forum via an Intarwebs search. Saved me a trip to the Stealer-ship. Thank you and the pictures helped a ton!

5. MarcT

MarcT TYF Newbie

Name:
    Marc
    Thank you to the OP. This procedure worked great, it saved me a bundle of $$ and/or a real hassle. The service manual has a procedure that has you jumping all over the books ands taking half the dash apart. If I hadn't found this I would have taken it in.
    Only downside was losing one screw down the backside of the heater case due to fat fingers...

6. nimrodcs

nimrodcs Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
    No problem gentlemen, that's what this forum is for. :)

Lol. I have that same problem sometimes....

7. 95escahoe

95escahoe Full Access Member

Name:
    Brett
    Did this a few months back, its pretty straight forward just looked it up on YouTube its such a pain to get back there

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

8. Scoregasm12

Scoregasm12 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    I realize this is a old thread, but am hoping for any advice. I have a 95 tahoe. My blower just stopped working and prior to that my blower wouldn't work on 3 but all else worked fine. I replaced the resister for that reason the 3 not working. still nothing, so replaced my motor and fan, still nothing checked my control panel the wiring for the fan were fried so i replaced that as well and still no power to the motor. All fuses were perfectly fine as well