replacing all the hard brake lines tomorrow have questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newbie78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main line that broke was the one going to the rear and it comes out of the ABS pump. Since I have to remove it I assume the ABS pump has to be bleed? I read a scan tool is required to bleed the ABS pump and I don't want to go through all that unless i have to.

Also you aren't supposed to let the master cylinder run dry so how do i stop the fluid from pouring out when I replace the line? Just have the new line ready and quick put it on? and some fluid will come out obviously.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if air is introduced to the abs module while it is actuating an anti-lockup operation then it will have to be bled using the functional test using the correct scan tool.

replace the line as soon as you can and perform a a normal brake bleed. you should have no issues with the abs.

OP
OP
N

newbie78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if air is introduced to the abs module while it is actuating an anti-lockup operation then it will have to be bled using the functional test using the correct scan tool.

replace the line as soon as you can and perform a a normal brake bleed. you should have no issues with the abs.

So disconnecting all the lines to and from the ABS to replace them won't get air into it?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you will get air in it likely but not air trapped in the anti-lock circuit because of the isolation valves in the system. you can flush out that un-isolated air with a good brake bleed.

OP
OP
N

newbie78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will get air in it likely but not air trapped in the anti-lock circuit because of the isolation valves in the system. you can flush out that un-isolated air with a good brake bleed.

thanks

I didn't get to replace everything because the damn ABS needed 7/16 to 1/2-20 adapters for the new lines to attach which i didn't know. Called around 3 part stores nobody had them in stock and finally pepboys did but i had no way to get there. I finally got a ride from a friend but a good 3 hours of the day was shot. Then i ended up kinking the the new line:flame: I was rushing today because we have rain for the next 3 days straight and i work outside. So i'm temporarily rigged up until Saturday.

I will say the truck stops awesome though! it didn't stop that good when i first bought it. That line must have had a pinhole in it for a long time.

Look at that line! nasty

Attachments

• IMG_20140425_141344_640.jpg
    IMG_20140425_141344_640.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

inthechateau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always end up cutting the fittings off the old lines and put them on the new lines and make my new flares one the cutting, fitting and bending is complete. Save those old fittings.