Need Help With Brake Lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi folks, 2008 Yukon XL SLT 5.3L Flex Fuel. I need to replace my brake lines running from the Master Cylinder down to the ABS module, I unfortunately buggered one of the ends trying to thread it into a new MC. My lines are coated and have M12x1 fittings. After some research, I presume they are metric 6mm ISO Bubble type lines and fittings, plse correct me if I'm wrong about that. I'm not really seeing anything for the actual lines from any of my usual sources, NAPA, ROCK-A etc. Has anyone had experience sourcing a good replacement, building or repairing their own lines of this type? I see lots of stuff about older lines and double flare NiCop repairs but none dealing with the PVF coated lines. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
Ed

OP
OP
Reaction score
Have you tried to clean up the threads with a tap and dye set.
Thx T14, I didn’t have that size in my kit and I was advised not to do that as it would cut the threads down a bit and might leak. I looked for a split die thread chaser but doesn’t exist in that size. Good news though, I removed the line from the MC and it looked pretty good, the MC hole is toast but the fitting looked fine, I guess they are a lot harder than the MC cast. I have a female fitting and ran it on the line a couple of times and was pretty good, a little bruised but after threading in and out of the fitting bunch of times it felt ok so I installed the old MC and for now, at least I’m back where I was and don’t need to replace the line
I learned my lesson the hard way. Be very very careful putting those lines in, quite stubborn surprisingly very easy to cross thread those fittings prob due that 1mm fine thread!!! I stayed at them starting with fingers only and checking closely that they are going in straight before putting a wrench on. I’ll pick up another MC cuz I don’t think it would be economical to try and repair that hole, the MC is only 120 here and I think parts and time to fix the buggered one would not prove economical. I’ll be extremely careful with the next one!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900