2015 AFM Hard Delete Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L8T BURB

Reaction score
Hello all! I am on the verge of doing a hard/full AFM delete on my 2015 Suburban 5.3, 2WD with 186k miles. I know this topic has been discussed at great lengths on the forum, as I have found through the search function. However I am hoping to get some insight into my specific situation.

My repair guy said that he will be doing a "motor out" repair on this. He will be taking the heads to a local machine shop to be freshened up. I am wanting to touch every part of this engine while it is out.

Here is what I have so far on the replacement list.

Non-AFM cam (likely BTR)
LS7 style lifters (All 16)
Valve Springs
Push Rods
Non-AFM Lifter Trays
Oil pump
Oil pickup tube
All associated seals/gaskets (Head, valve cover, front crankshaft, rear crankshaft, timing cover, etc)
All intake/exhaust valves

Am I missing anything here? Should I do the timing chain set while there as well? Engine mounts? Anything on the front engine accessory drive? Water pump and thermostat were replaced 6 weeks ago. I know this will be a costly repair, so I am taking the approach of "buy once, cry once" by making sure I replace anything mildly reasonable while the engine is out.

Thank you all!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am on the verge of doing a hard/full AFM delete on my 2015 Suburban 5.3, 2WD with 186k miles. I know this topic has been discussed at great lengths on the forum, as I have found through the search function. However I am hoping to get some insight into my specific situation.

My repair guy said that he will be doing a "motor out" repair on this. He will be taking the heads to a local machine shop to be freshened up. I am wanting to touch every part of this engine while it is out.

Non-AFM cam (likely BTR)
Valve Springs
Push Rods
Non-AFM Lifter Trays
Oil pump
Oil pickup tube
All associated seals/gaskets (Head, valve cover, front crankshaft, rear crankshaft, timing cover, etc)

Am I missing anything here? Should I do the timing chain set while there as well? Engine mounts? Anything on the front engine accessory drive? Water pump and thermostat were replaced 6 weeks ago. I know this will be a costly repair, so I am taking the approach of "buy once, cry once" by making sure I replace anything mildly reasonable while the engine is out.

Thank you all!
Not familiar with this year of vehicle, but might consider timing chain and tensioner.

I would only use GM OEM lifter trays if at all possible. Some folks have had lifters turn in non-OEM trays.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Non-AFM cam (likely BTR)
Valve Springs
Push Rods
Non-AFM Lifter Trays
Oil pump
Oil pickup tube

Thank you all!
I would do motor mounts etc also while its out, possibly look into replacing the injectors since ya will be that far into things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts