Replacement of Oil Pressure Unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil pressure sending unit has crapped out and I am going to replace it tomorrow morning. I am planning on unhooking the fuel line and PVC line to allow more access.

Question - In removing the fuel line is it best to remove the fuel pump fuse and start the vehicle to remove the fuel pressure prior to unhooking?

Thanks, Tim

Buzzcut

Reaction score
My oil pressure sending unit has crapped out and I am going to replace it tomorrow morning. I am planning on unhooking the fuel line and PVC line to allow more access.

Question - In removing the fuel line is it best to remove the fuel pump fuse and start the vehicle to remove the fuel pressure prior to unhooking?

Thanks, Tim

That should work but remember you may still get some spray and residual fuel leakage. Good luck with that repair. That sending unit was a real pain on my 2004 I don't expect the newer models are any different.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should work but remember you may still get some spray and residual fuel leakage. Good luck with that repair. That sending unit was a real pain on my 2004 I don't expect the newer models are any different.

Yea, the 2007 is no different its in the far back of the block with extremely limited access. I have to get myself psyched up to tackle this process.

Thanks for the info.

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
I pulled my fuel line off recently (2 times) in 2 days and I did not depressurize the system. I just used the 3/8" Fuel line tool and disconnected. Very little residual fuel in the line :)

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
It also seemed impossible to get to without taking the intake off. Luckily I had to change the Oil Valley Pan and had to pull my intake off anyways which made the oil sending unit change a walk in the park

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also seemed impossible to get to without taking the intake off. Luckily I had to change the Oil Valley Pan and had to pull my intake off anyways which made the oil sending unit change a walk in the park

A friend of mine had to change his and went out on YouTube and found a couple of videos that showed folks changing it without taking the manifold off. He did it their way and he got it replaced and it was a pisser to get to and mostly done by feel. Said it took about 45 minutes? I am going to give it a try.

I don't know what you mean by the '3/8 tool' to relive the fuel pressure?

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine had to change his and went out on YouTube and found a couple of videos that showed folks changing it without taking the manifold off. He did it their way and he got it replaced and it was a pisser to get to and mostly done by feel. Said it took about 45 minutes? I am going to give it a try.

I don't know what you mean by the '3/8 tool' to relive the fuel pressure?
I too did it by feel after watching a few youtube videos. I separated the fuel line using one of these 3/8 fuel line tools to give my hand a little extra room, and then literally laid a drop cloth over the engine and climbed up and in, chest down and arms between the engine and firewall. You are basically working blind, so I used my cellphone to take a few pictures so I could see what orientation the wiring clip was on the sensor which made it easier to feel how to pop it off. Make sure you have a deep 1-1/16 socket on hand with a few universal socket joints and various extension lengths. If I remember correctly, I think I ended up wrapping my universal joints in few wraps of electrical tape, so they were flexible but not floppy.

Other than that, take your time, it will take a few attempts, but it is doable and I think the whole project took about 20 minutes.

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed my oil pressure gauge bouncing up and down at times even while idling. Had an oil change at the dealer recently so I am pretty it's got oil. I am planning on replacing the oil pressure sensor even though it sounds a little difficult to reach.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed my oil pressure gauge bouncing up and down at times even while idling. Had an oil change at the dealer recently so I am pretty it's got oil. I am planning on replacing the oil pressure sensor even though it sounds a little difficult to reach.[/QUOTE

Scott, that is what mine started doing as well and then crapped out completely in approximately a week.

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the sensor? Did you replace the sensor or did you have someone do it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645