Repair costs 2003 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rmanni01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

Wanted to run these costs by you from the dealer. Went to the dealer cause I thought some of it may be under warranty (engine replaced last year). 2003 Tahoe. How bad was I gouged?

Intermittent check engine light - run diagnostics, tune up - plugs, plug wires, fuel injector cleaning, throttle body service
$765.96

Slight coolant leak - replacing water pump, coolant, thermostat housing, coolant, inlet
$620.14

Oil change -
$36

Total of $1,517.00 after tax of 53.23, shop supplies of 40.81.

coop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well.... they don't call it the STEALERship for nothing. I know they have to make money but that seems really high.

carcrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow:jawdrop: thats real high, never go to stealer ship all that you could have done yourself

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is really high. The oil change at a normal shop runs under $20. The tune up you can do in your driveway and find a shop buy your own part and have them install it. My shop let's me buy anything and they install it.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Wanted to run these costs by you from the dealer. Went to the dealer cause I thought some of it may be under warranty (engine replaced last year). 2003 Tahoe. How bad was I gouged?

Intermittent check engine light - run diagnostics, tune up - plugs, plug wires, fuel injector cleaning, throttle body service
$765.96

Slight coolant leak - replacing water pump, coolant, thermostat housing, coolant, inlet
$620.14

Oil change -
$36

Total of $1,517.00 after tax of 53.23, shop supplies of 40.81.

jesus H dude , what exactly is the fix for the 765. if its just a bad plug ect... they are supposed to waive the cost of diagnostics if you choose to repair second the o"slight coolant leak" means changing all that? coolant should only be a gallon or so , knowing the stealership they probally want to do a complete system flush and what do you mean thermostat "housing"?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not that bad. Most people with older trucks don't use the factory parts (especially if they do the work themselves) so they get cheap parts. So, of course, everyone freaks out about dealer prices and everyone is already preconceived about it being the "stealer," too. I don't care what anyone says, nothing fits and works like a factory part. Plus, dealers have a higher labor rate for their higher overhead costs.

(These are all top of my head estimates)
Tune up: Plugs - $10 ea. = $80. Wires - $150. Labor probably 3 hours @ $100 = $300. Probably $100 for each of the two services (injector and induction). $730.

Water pump: Pump - $350. Inlet (which is the t-stat housing): $50. Coolant: $18. Labor - 2.0 hours @ $100 = $200. $618

Last edited:

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not that bad. Most people with older trucks don't use the factory parts (especially if they do the work themselves) so they get cheap parts. So, of course, everyone freaks out about dealer prices and everyone is already preconceived about it being the "stealer," too. I don't care what anyone says, nothing fits and works like a factory part. Plus, dealers have a higher labor rate for their higher overhead costs.

(These are all top of my head estimates)
Tune up: Plugs - $10 ea. = $80. Wires - $150. Labor probably 3 hours @ $100 = $300. Probably $100 for each of the two services (injector and induction). $730.

Water pump: Pump - $350. Inlet (which is the t-stat housing): $50. Coolant: $18. Labor - 2.0 hours @ $100 = $200. $618

what plugs are you buying that are $10 dollars each??? platuim plugs for my truck costs around 7-8
wires-$50-60
labor shouldnt cost 3 hours to do i believe the Tech data for a 5.7 liter Hemi which has 16 yes 16 spark plugs is only 2 1/2 hours

And again thats for all AC delco parts = OEM
Water pump OEM for this year of truck lists for $270 but most sites and part stores sell for around 100 bucks if not lower

I used to work for a dodge dealership with a sister chevy company across the street 90 percent of all OEM parts are discontinued after 7 or so years and aftermarket companys come in , only then does companys like delphi and delco ect... put their name on it and raise the price

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a difference between GM parts and AC/Delco parts. Some parts only come from AC/Delco (like plugs and wires) but things like brake pads and water pumps come both ways. The AC/Delco parts are cheaper than GM but they are NOT the same. These trucks call for Iridium plugs which list for $9.76, not Platinum. And who cares what a Dodge pays? This isn't a Dodge. I can't look it up here, but I believe it pays 1.5 hours for plugs and 1 hour for wires (or maybe vice versa) and then I added 0.5 hours for diagnosis.