Removing Tint from Tailights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After being pulled over and cited 2 times in the last month for having my tailights tinted, I've decided to remove the tint or get some new tailights. My question is if it is possible to sand down the sprayed tint off the taillights, and then just compound them out to make them look like they did before any tint, or even just respray them with a lighter tint.

If anyone has done this before or has any suggestions, let me know.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
i would say yea because its just paint just sand down and re tint. or clear it off

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they were probably scuffed first to make the paint stick, so I wouldn't know how they'd look upon removing the paint (or if you could get them back to a perfect finish)...

hbr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can just sand it off, then wet sand them and polish back to gloss, I just think some thinner might take it off with less effort

OP
OP
S

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have some thinner so ill try that next weekend when i head to my parents. I figured wetsanding + compounding like i did my headlights to remove oxidation would work. Worst case scenario, i can always apply a light tint. Hopefully the CHP won't be as strict with a light smoke, but right now mine are pretty much pitch black.

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you used VHT and clear coat bought from a parts store laquer thinner will take it off! Been there done that!:D Sanding it off take WAY too long.

OP
OP
S

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you used VHT and clear coat bought from a parts store laquer thinner will take it off! Been there done that!:D Sanding it off take WAY too long.

They came tinted when i bought my truck, but considering the guy i bought it off of sells vht spray at his shop, im pretty sure that it what he used. Ill give laquer thinner a shot when the weather clears.

Sierkonblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be careful with thinner or any other chemicals. You could easily melt the clear plastic housings and make things worse. I would maybe try taking the time with some 500 grit sand paper or find someone inept at sand blasting and have them blasted lightly then polished..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Purolator