Recommendations on brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems strange to me that the rears wear faster. All my other vehicles went along with the theory that weight transfers to the front when braking and the front does most of the work.

I kept checking the front pads on my last Tahoe and they were not wearing at all. Never even looked at the back since the fronts were good. Next thing you know the back pads are down to nothing.

I assumed it was because 90% of the time I was trailering and that was wearing the rear faster (for some reason, nothing that made sense...)

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling it's only the 07. Was hoping someone with an 07 could chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have an '07, but from what I have gathered around here some very early model year '07s were actually still NBS models like the 2000-2006 GMT800 body styles. If yours looks like a NNBS then you likely have the GMT900 breaking setup.

OP
OP
B

Burnswil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, ok I have the nnbs. Do you know anything about the caliper casting on the nnbs by chance?

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, ok I have the nnbs. Do you know anything about the caliper casting on the nnbs by chance?

Nothing specific, but I have been looking into the differences between the GMT800 and GMT900 front calipers since I am about to do the upgrade on my 2005. Basically for the GMT900 they increased the size of the caliper bracket and the radius of the caliper to accommodate the 13" front rotor that came standard on the GMT900 from the 12" rotor that had been standard on the GMT800. The mounting points and hub remained the same, which is why those of us with GMT800s can simply bolt on the upgrade. From what I have seen the part numbers for the bracket and caliper cover years 2007+ to 2014.

If you are looking for another data point on brake recommendations, I went with the Bendix Fleet MetLok rotors and pads for all four corners of my Yukon, and will be upgrading all the flex lines to stainless lines. I primarily use it for towing, so I am looking for all the stopping power I can get with basically a bolt on budget. I'm willing to trade off some brake dust from the semi-metallic pads for increased grip.

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
I believe you are right about the rears. When I had the brakes checked the rears were worse than the fronts. I'll have to look locally.

I HIGHLY doubt this, most cars/truck that are run of the mill daily driver kind of cars have a general bias to the front brakes (just look at the size of the rotors and the tech that is up front versus the back, especially over time all the way back to the 50/60s, front rotors ALWAYS do a majority of the stopping, sometimes over 90% (don't ask, stock 9C1/Impala SS had a issue with this and it led to a lot of aftermarket mods) and the rears are "along for the ride" basically. Now as tech has gotten better we see 4 wheel discs standard and now we are moving to a more conventional 60/40 split.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I HIGHLY doubt this, most cars/truck that are run of the mill daily driver kind of cars have a general bias to the front brakes (just look at the size of the rotors and the tech that is up front versus the back, especially over time all the way back to the 50/60s, front rotors ALWAYS do a majority of the stopping, sometimes over 90% (don't ask, stock 9C1/Impala SS had a issue with this and it led to a lot of aftermarket mods) and the rears are "along for the ride" basically. Now as tech has gotten better we see 4 wheel discs standard and now we are moving to a more conventional 60/40 split.

every 4 wheel disk brake truck or car ive owned, all the back brakes wear out before the fronts.

03 gmc 2500 hd did, my 98 regal does, the 05 silverado does the same thing. this tahoe i have had trashed back brakes as well when i bought it.

for what ever reason gm is putting more back braking in the set ups since the late 90's.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
08 Denali XL AWD, rears gave way first but only by about 500mi. I have quite a few hills near home and use 2nd & 3rd gear to coast down the grades.

It makes sense to have the rears biased to wear first as they keep the vehicle tracking in the direction intended during braking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20