Rear trailing arm snapped on my two week old Yukon Denali. Pics and story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
samething happened to my fathers 07 escalade, didn't puncture a tire or anything because it was still together at the top of the arm just the bottom of it broke. Don't know how or why it happened but just bought a new one replaced it and was good to go

smccollamjr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got a call from service... Told me that they have determined that the damage is not a "GM warranty issue" and to contact my insurance company...

And here we go!

I'd talk to the "big boss" myself, then work your way up from there. A pothole can puncture a tire, but it shouldn't break that arm. They are lazy and don't want to deal with warranty paperwork. I don't think dealers make much on warranty work either.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a call from service... Told me that they have determined that the damage is not a "GM warranty issue" and to contact my insurance company...

And here we go!

Don't know where you are but every region of the country has a "GM Zone Office". Call GM customer service and explain to them what happened and ask for an escalation from dealer service to "Zone".

Have you had a chance to look at this yet on a lift? You might see an impact point from previous damage....in any case consider calling your Insurance Carrier and making a claim. They have trained adjusters that can spot things that most people can't.

Also think about this possibility...has ANYONE besides you or your wife driven this vehicle ? A valet...relative or friend ?

There is a cause and effect for everything that happens ...something about this doesn't pass the "Smell Test". Dig deeper and good luck!

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
When I was 18 I worked in a wrecking yard. We had yard vehicles and drove the crap out of them. Nothing like that ever happened. And most of these vehicles were rusted and at the end of there life.
Yours still has the paint on the trailing arm. I would be digging deeper.

OP
OP
J

JP Manor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't know where you are but every region of the country has a "GM Zone Office". Call GM customer service and explain to them what happened and ask for an escalation from dealer service to "Zone".

Have you had a chance to look at this yet on a lift? You might see an impact point from previous damage....in any case consider calling your Insurance Carrier and making a claim. They have trained adjusters that can spot things that most people can't.

Also think about this possibility...has ANYONE besides you or your wife driven this vehicle ? A valet...relative or friend ?

There is a cause and effect for everything that happens ...something about this doesn't pass the "Smell Test". Dig deeper and good luck!

I took a buddy of mine who is a very experienced professional mechanic to the dealer yesterday to see the truck... He thought it was very strange that the arm would break off like that, even from a curb hit or pothole. We spoke to the manager in detail and he was unfortunately not a lot of help. I agree with you 100% about the adjuster. I filed and claim and they're going to check it out next week.

At the end of the day I'm going to use this opportunity to install a leveling kit and either larger tires, or I may ditch the 22's all together at go down to 20's.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to see this happen, as your wife must have been freaked out at the time.

Not so sure there's much more to this in terms of cause other than just being a one-in-a-million case of component failure. It is definitely concerning, but it just may be one of those weird cases that can't be explained other than replacing the component, which I'm hopeful that GM will do without any undue hassle.

Good luck!

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day I'm going to use this opportunity to install a leveling kit and either larger tires, or I may ditch the 22's all together at go down to 20's.

Smart man, especially when it comes to the idea about larger tires. ;)

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats odd for sure. glad no one was hurt

how many miles are on yuk? the tire wear seems a bit much.

you'd think they would make that arm a little beefier/
maybe the supplier that made my rims, made your trailing arms. ;) there is something more to that damage.
hopefully someone higher up in GM or yur insur will be able to determine.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In looking at pic number 2...there appears to be a curious scratch/gouge on the front of the axle. This might be a point of impact. Think about an object sticking out of the ground such as a steel pipe that would clear other parts of the vehicle during forward travel....yet impact the front of the rear axle.

I punched a hole in a differential carrier on a Ford pickup driving over a gate post that had been cut 12" above ground. I drove about a mile before the rear end started grinding itself to bits.

I stopped...got out and followed the trail of differential fluid back to the point of impact. I was amazed how freaky this was. You just might have something similar in your case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz