Rear tail gate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltzhoe08

Reaction score
Hey guys I have an 08 tahoe ltz, and yesterday I Went to open tail gate with remote and it is rubbing against inside of bumper to where it almost gets stuck...it opens half way then closes...I also noticed the piston on right side has leaked a lot of oil..anyone have this happen to them ..thanks

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ltzhoe08,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle to be diagnosed? Please keep us posted on any information.

Thank you,
Caron, GM Customer Service

Hey guys I have an 08 tahoe ltz, and yesterday I Went to open tail gate with remote and it is rubbing against inside of bumper to where it almost gets stuck...it opens half way then closes...I also noticed the piston on right side has leaked a lot of oil..anyone have this happen to them ..thanks

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rubbing against the inside of the bumper? I would guess that the bumper had damage to it to keep from shutting tight. but I also noticed that my strut on my lift gate is leaking, just dont know if that would cause the door to get unleveled. I wouldnt think so

OP
OP
L

ltzhoe08

Reaction score
It's not bumper damage...I can see one piston has blown cause all the oil is dripping down.. So I think cause one side failed it making door lean a bit towards one side...I hope thats it cause I'm about to buy it off lease

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

ltzhoe08,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle to be diagnosed? Please keep us posted on any information.

Thank you,

You ever hear of this gm customer service...can you give me any help besides telling me to go fix it

ghoster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I am following what you are saying, one of the lift struts has blown, so when you open the gate, or close, it is twisting and rubbing? Seems like the hinge would have to have bent for this to happen. I wonder if they gate can be adjusted at the hinge to make minor adjustments to its position? Can you get it open at all without damaging anything?

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel that the the GM people are here just to tell us to go get serviced at the dealer instead of offering real help. We don't need someone who knows how to maximize profits telling us to go to the dealer if we're out of warranty.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel that the the GM people are here just to tell us to go get serviced at the dealer instead of offering real help. We don't need someone who knows how to maximize profits telling us to go to the dealer if we're out of warranty.

Could not agree anymore. I know you'll (GM Reps) may be trying to help but they're are certain things you guys can help get done a lot quicker, especially this cracked dash issue.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM Customers,
I understand your frustrations with your situations. As all major companies or corporations, we have standard operating procedures. GM does handle their customers individually, not all situations are the same, so they must be handled on a case by case basis. I am here to help make GM aware of your situations. The vehicle must be taken to a GM Dealer to be diagnosed. They have a contract with GM and must look at the vehicle. For GM to know you are experiencing issues, you must contact GM; whether it is me via email or Customer Assistance via the telephone. This will help identify the problem and how large it is. I understand when you are experiencing these concerns these processes can be frustrating. All concerns, whether it is with a dealer or your vehicle, are documented in the cases set up if you directly contact GM. If you would like to call Customer Assistance and speak with someone the number is in your owner’s manual.

Thank you,

OP
OP
L

ltzhoe08

Reaction score
So again I ask, in what way can you help me at all besides telling gm who will then do nothing.. For everyone else , I have oil dripping down one of the struts so I'm thinking it is blown so all the weight is supported on one side that why its rubbing the inside bumper. Dealing with the dealer by me is the worst.. They carry no parts so no matter what it's at least two trips to dealer before anything gets done...I'm thinking of just bringing it to body shop I know instead..will be a lot faster and much less aggravating .

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Gm customer service, so can you at least provide me with the number I can call? Thank you

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

If I am following what you are saying, one of the lift struts has blown, so when you open the gate, or close, it is twisting and rubbing? Seems like the hinge would have to have bent for this to happen. I wonder if they gate can be adjusted at the hinge to make minor adjustments to its position? Can you get it open at all without damaging anything?

It has made a ding and removed some paint. If I open it with control button sometimes opens half way after pushing through the side of bumper but then it closes cause I think it met resistance....if I open it manually , it will go but I must hold it by hand or it will slam shut...it's a heavy door!

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
yes the tailgate is really heavy. Think of it like a building scaffold that window washers use. If one side fails to work, one side is doing all the weight lifting so the other side is going to get cocked resulting it getting jambed or stuck like you mentioned or that the fact that the one strut is too heavy to support the entire weight of the tailgate also in resulting opening slighty and closing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotwell69

Latest posts