Rear shock swap??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88lance

Reaction score
Just picked up a very nice '05 Tahoe with 330K miles. (Idk how they got 330K without making a scratch, dent, or seat tear, but they did it :hahano:

Rear suspension has the Sachs shocks. Left rear has oil pouring out of it, and if I corner, the back left raises up and the front right dives down. Already replaced fronts, which helped, but isn't going to be "right" until that blown-out one on the rear gets replaced. It just extends way to easy, and lets the rear left go everywhere.

The Sachs, from what I gather, has built in springs to help the coils. Meaning you can't just throw regular shocks under it, because they wont assist the coils in holding the rear up.

With the Sachs being very pricey, I got to wondering if anyone has tried Monroe adjustable Air ride shocks. In theory, these would do the same as the Sachs with assisting the rear springs. However, if they are not very restrictive when extending, I would have the same "front-diving" affect that I have now.

I was unsure if someone has tried to replace these with adjustable air ride yet or not. Thoughts? Has anyone tried this?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF from the Centennial State!

Provided you have the ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride RPO code, you can change to standard rear shocks but will need to also change the coil springs. If you look on Rock Auto and find the Bilstein shocks for the rear, they specify the springs to buy.

1693786526634.png

Lots of threads on here about this changeover, just search for "Nivomat" shocks. The Nivomats don't have internal springs; it's a different technology.

IIRC @BADRIDES might be a member here that has a used set of Nivomats for sale, if you're interested.

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
Welcome to TYF from the Centennial State!

Provided you have the ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride RPO code, you can change to standard rear shocks but will need to also change the coil springs. If you look on Rock Auto and find the Bilstein shocks for the rear, they specify the springs to buy.

View attachment 407662

Lots of threads on here about this changeover, just search for "Nivomat" shocks. The Nivomats don't have internal springs; it's a different technology.

IIRC @BADRIDES might be a member here that has a used set of Nivomats for sale, if you're interested.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I want to get into replacing springs also, I would probably just lean towards another set of Nivomats if I have to.

If someone has a set for sale I would probably be interested, depending on the price. I was considering going and scrounging some junk yard trucks, hoping that a junk yard wouldn't know that these are 200 dollars used, and give it to me for 20 bucks. haha If someone here has some though that aren't blown out, I would be willing to pay closer to what they are actually worth.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I should pull some of these when I go to Upulls, and mark the mileage on them. Hmmmm.

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
I should pull some of these when I go to Upulls, and mark the mileage on them. Hmmmm.
If they are unaware of what they are and what they are worth, you probably should if you find some. Post them on ebay and make 200 dollars a set. haha

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Monroe and Bilstein both have a spring/strut kit but once you buy both you are in Nivomat price territory. If you can find a good one in the junkyard and just replace one, that’s a really good workaround till you get new. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_1367.png
    IMG_1367.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. This is the only photo I have of it at the moment, after driving down a dusty road to get to the house. I'll try to get a few more this evening.

I think I'll check out a few wrecking yards this Wednesday and see if I can find a replacement shock for the moment while I work on a few other things, then come back to the rear suspension afterwards.
Then at least it will drive normal again while I do other things with it at the moment.

It needs a rear window regulator, an airbag sensor, a tire sensor in the back tire, and the rear air won't switch to heat, it only blows cold or vent. So I'll get those ironed out and then maybe do a complete change of the rear suspension.

Do people prefer the complete rear suspension swap over the stock Nivomat? Is there something that people don't like about the Nivomat, or is it just the price of the shocks that make people change the whole rear suspension out?

Attachments

• IMG-20230903-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20230903-WA0000.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 8

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might look at Craigslist and FB Marketplace. I don't know where you are from, but there are constant part outs on these and similar trucks. If you catch a part out, you may get a good deal on multiple parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz