Rear Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Capitan

Senior Texas Member
Reaction score
My rear differential went out wheres the best place to buy a new/used/reman/rebuild kit for a 2001 tahoe lt?

Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You doing the rebuild yourself? You mind swapping out parts yourself?

I've always used car-part dot com and bought low-mileage parts from salvage yards. You can get a 50k mile rear axle for our trucks for under $600. The shops around my area charge an average of $1000 to rebuild an axle so it's a no-brainer for the DIY'er.

OP
OP
El Capitan

El Capitan

Senior Texas Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm doin the swap myself but idk rather use new parts. I'm goin thru the effort might as well beef it up. The descision on new parts was made recently mainly because I didn't blow it out it was madre's fault and she's paying for it. What I'm lookin for is a posi carrier and 4:10's, so if you know where I could find those that'd be great I've been on summit and jegs if one of out venders carries these parts I'd rather purchase through them. Also is a tune required after going from 3:73's to 4:10's?

Joe1129uscg

Reaction score
Last November my rear end broke, McSwain Automotive in Rockwall, TX rebuilt mine with all new parts for $800 range. I chose that method because most salvage yards were selling used ones for that price.

Edit: Not trying to knock anyone but unless you have the proper equipment to set up the end play I would leave it to the pro's. Setting up the end play wrong will give you a VERY noisy rear end and it will wear out very fast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
El Capitan

El Capitan

Senior Texas Member
Reaction score
G2 4:10 ring and pinion set, Auburn Gear LSD differential carrier, Superior Axle & Gear axle shafts. Got er done and she runs great...... nice:waytogo:

Hvaczolt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rear Diff.

G2 4:10 ring and pinion set, Auburn Gear LSD differential carrier, Superior Axle & Gear axle shafts. Got er done and she runs great...... nice:waytogo:

Mine just went. Where did you end up getting parts? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700