Rear diff fluid change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got about 110k on the clock now. Think it would be a good idea to do this? It's a 2004 LT. How do I know if it has a limited slip? Also, do these have actual gaskets or just gasket sealers? Recommendations on the best fluids? How much will it take?

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, go ahead and change it. You probably don't have a drain plug, so you will have to remove the cover. You can buy a new gasket or use RTV sealer or whatever the stuff is called. Make sure you scrape the old gasket off well. You can check to see if you have a locker by finding the G80 code in the glovebox. I believe that it will take a synthetic 75w-90 either way though...no additive for the G80 if you do have one. It takes just short of 3 qts if I remember correctly. You will either need a bottle with the nozzle or a pump to get it in the fill hole.

OP
OP
Narco

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so even if it has a gasket i can just use sealer? if it has one id prefer to use whats oem to the truck. ive never done this before. my buddy has and will be there helping.

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should come factory with a gasket. I just know some people use the sealer when they put it back together...

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with amsoil and they actually have a list on there site explaining what fluids are for your truck. Even if you don't use amsoil it's a good reference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts