03 Tahoe- Rear Differential Fluid Change: Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just re-geared my 03 Tahoe from 3:73 to 4:56. After 500 miles I changed my fluids. The front diff took about 1.5 quarts, which it called for 2. But I filled it as much as it would take.
The rear calls for 2.75 quarts, but I ended up putting all 3 quarts in. Stuck my pinking in there and didn't feel any fluid. Just wondering if all 3 quarts is too much. Any risks here?

Also after about 100 miles I noticed a drip. I didn't use an aftermarket gasket just Permatex. I didn't use lock tight on my bolts like some suggested, so I'll check that first. Otherwise I'll need to do it over.

Thanks!
Dan

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just re-geared my 03 Tahoe from 3:73 to 4:56. After 500 miles I changed my fluids. The front diff took about 1.5 quarts, which it called for 2. But I filled it as much as it would take.
The rear calls for 2.75 quarts, but I ended up putting all 3 quarts in. Stuck my pinking in there and didn't feel any fluid. Just wondering if all 3 quarts is too much. Any risks here?

Also after about 100 miles I noticed a drip. I didn't use an aftermarket gasket just Permatex. I didn't use lock tight on my bolts like some suggested, so I'll check that first. Otherwise I'll need to do it over.

Thanks!
Dan
I ended up somewhere around 3.25 quarts when I did my girdled diff cover. Not sure if the new cover had more capacity or not, but it ended up taking more than any documentation I could find online. Filled it to just below the fill plug hole. So far, so good!

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up somewhere around 3.25 quarts when I did my girdled diff cover. Not sure if the new cover had more capacity or not, but it ended up taking more than any documentation I could find online. Filled it to just below the fill plug hole. So far, so good!
@Sam Harris - Where did you purchase your girdled cover? Happy with it?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No matter what, fill till the fluid runs out and then is full. Noticed a drip from where? The cover? The pinion seal? Which axle? I am assuming a cover based on what you said and assuming the rear cover. I hate assuming. It should go without saying but make sure you fill on level ground.

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of that fluid will go down your axle tubes and wet them and the axle bearings in the tubes. Get that leak fixed! Blue loctite on your cover bolts aint a bad idea. Using a gasket like OEM did is a good idea. Always fill ANY fluid on a level surface. On the diffs add fluid until it comes out of the hole then put the plug in.

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter what, fill till the fluid runs out and then is full. Noticed a drip from where? The cover? The pinion seal? Which axle? I am assuming a cover based on what you said and assuming the rear cover. I hate assuming. It should go without saying but make sure you fill on level ground.
Yeah, slow small drip under the rear diff cover right at the bottom. Less that 1 drop per day so I ain’t too worried. Just keep an eye on it and redo the cover seal next weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz