re-rebuild findings - 310K mi. spark plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those plugs are a B I T CH. I was trained by my dad to do the job COMPLET, so I've cussed all the GM engineers on all my LS motors and my LT motor. With some patience, and good mechanical aptitude it can be done, but sucks.

you ever have to change rear plugs on a sbc with 1 3/4 headers? I honestly can't say any ls I have owned is even hard compared to that lol. you literally can't get a normal sized socked on it, let alone a ratchet on the socket. you need a shorty open end 3/4in wrench from the underside. accel used to sell a special shorty spark plug just to make it even possible. the old Gen 2 lt1 was a pain too. the plug wires ran behind the alternator in a guide. those things were horrible haha. and would burn up wires if not run perfectly.

v10 Ford mod motor with half the motor under a dash is pretty bad too.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
"v10 Ford mod motor with half the motor under a dash is pretty bad too."

When in the shops, been there and done that. I was a service manager and when I handed a ticket for one of those to a tech, I got "The Look" and knew right then I was no longer on his Christmas list.

I wonder what job and when it happened, when a tech or some genius designed and invented the top side creeper:

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you ever have to change rear plugs on a sbc with 1 3/4 headers? I honestly can't say any ls I have owned is even hard compared to that lol. you literally can't get a normal sized socked on it, let alone a ratchet on the socket. you need a shorty open end 3/4in wrench from the underside. accel used to sell a special shorty spark plug just to make it even possible. the old Gen 2 lt1 was a pain too. the plug wires ran behind the alternator in a guide. those things were horrible haha. and would burn up wires if not run perfectly.

v10 Ford mod motor with half the motor under a dash is pretty bad too.
My 4th Gen Trans Am is the same way with headers. Need stubby wrenches and a special SLP spark plug socket to get to some of them. My '03 Tahoe's plugs are a breeze by comparison.

Then of course there's those Ford 5.4 and 6.8 (i think) V10 as you mention - the rear ones like to break off in the head. Customer once asked me if i would do them for him, told him "hell no" and he laughed...

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score

When in the shops, been there and done that. I was a service manager and when I handed a ticket for one of those to a tech, I got "The Look" and knew right then I was no longer on his Christmas list.

I wonder what job and when it happened, when a tech or some genius designed and invented the top side creeper:

Just add one more thing to my list of things that I want but definitely don’t need. Definitely still gonna buy one eventually though lol

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 4th Gen Trans Am is the same way with headers. Need stubby wrenches and a special SLP spark plug socket to get to some of them. My '03 Tahoe's plugs are a breeze by comparison.

Then of course there's those Ford 5.4 and 6.8 (i think) V10 as you mention - the rear ones like to break off in the head. Customer once asked me if i would do them for him, told him "hell no" and he laughed...

I've got the broken spark plug tool hanging on the wall at work.

I've got a small bus thing with one in it, the dog house makes it a bit better thou. and 3 stationary pieces of equipment with the v10s in them. someone decided to use those instead of dealing with new def diesel engines. they will legit burn thru 100gal fuel tank in one night. all 3 are pretty new but I can't imagine they will age well haha. ugh @ my life

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the broken spark plug tool hanging on the wall at work.

I've got a small bus thing with one in it, the dog house makes it a bit better thou. and 3 stationary pieces of equipment with the v10s in them. someone decided to use those instead of dealing with new def diesel engines. they will legit burn thru 100gal fuel tank in one night. all 3 are pretty new but I can't imagine they will age well haha. ugh @ my life
Yep, I believe it re the fuel consumption...They all end up in the same place: Found On the side of the Road Dead, haha...

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#8 is not that bad... @Rocket Man shows the easy way:

It was quite easy actually. I just used a spark plug socket and a 1” extension. The plugs were the easiest thing so far. I was pleasantly surprised.
I was cheating a bit though. I had removed all the heater hoses and intake stuff out of the way to replace them (tees and heater hoses)and a flush.

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I switched to this shop about 4 years ago now and was blown away the other guy didn't have one. I have no idea how he did anything, he's short and a big dude. first thing I did was grab the credit card and head to Northern tool.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those plugs are a B I T CH. I was trained by my dad to do the job COMPLET, so I've cussed all the GM engineers on all my LS motors and my LT motor. With some patience, and good mechanical aptitude it can be done, but sucks.
#8 PITA, and to add insult to injury, I have a broken stud there and installed a bridge/clamp there, and have that to deal with too when changing plugs.
I installed a set of amazon ACDelco 41-962 Platinums three yrs ago. No issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia