re-rebuild findings - 310K mi. spark plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denalilex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so as im sure a handful of you know - my gen 1 6L80 finally got tired enough to throw in the towel & so while i have taken on my first ever trans rebuild/overhaul - of which im taking an over abundance of caution with & patience with myself - i’ve also decided to tend to some parts that REALLY need attention…. spark plugs was first on the list (which, i know, i know… don’t come for me plssss lol)

i have heard that with the LS engines - mechanics have been displaying a lazy habit of leaving the last plug on the back of the engine passenger side & just replacing the rest because that one is a b**ch … admittedly, yes , i can see that it is such, but find someone with small hands (a woman with a wrench, comes in handy in this moment ;) ) - & it won’t be so hard. anyway, i thought that sounded a little ridiculous but low & behold ….. a lone factory ac delco iridium plug was in its place on my engine & the rest were AutoLite brand …. i chuckled. cus what else are you going to do? that plug has 310K miles on it. no misfires. or maybe there were … some 200k miles ago lmao ugh wtf

just something to look out for if you’re taking on one of these trucks & it needs some loving.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the back plug really that bad?

makes me wonder if it's harder on the non hybrid trucks. I don't remember any extra hassle when doing mine.

amazing a plug still fires with 300k lol.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
so as im sure a handful of you know - my gen 1 6L80 finally got tired enough to throw in the towel & so while i have taken on my first ever trans rebuild/overhaul - of which im taking an over abundance of caution with & patience with myself - i’ve also decided to tend to some parts that REALLY need attention…. spark plugs was first on the list (which, i know, i know… don’t come for me plssss lol)

i have heard that with the LS engines - mechanics have been displaying a lazy habit of leaving the last plug on the back of the engine passenger side & just replacing the rest because that one is a b**ch … admittedly, yes , i can see that it is such, but find someone with small hands (a woman with a wrench, comes in handy in this moment ;) ) - & it won’t be so hard. anyway, i thought that sounded a little ridiculous but low & behold ….. a lone factory ac delco iridium plug was in its place on my engine & the rest were AutoLite brand …. i chuckled. cus what else are you going to do? that plug has 310K miles on it. no misfires. or maybe there were … some 200k miles ago lmao ugh wtf

just something to look out for if you’re taking on one of these trucks & it needs some loving.
If you don't post pics, it didn't happen......

OP
OP
denalilex

denalilex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
& why, yes, that
is the back plug really that bad?

makes me wonder if it's harder on the non hybrid trucks. I don't remember any extra hassle when doing mine.

amazing a plug still fires with 300k lol.
i didn’t find it to be all THAT bad. but then again, these plugs were changed by its PO (half-assedly, “changed” is debatable here)… so the wires were the ones without the metal heat shield & spring contraption thingy & from what i’ve gathered - that’s the part that’s difficult because it like locks on & it pretty much needs a special tool to release it but GM made theirs wider so the tool barely works anyway mixed with the fact that the space IS very tight.. i can see how that would be dreadful.. but not “f it - leave it in for 310k” kinda dreadful lol … i have small, very skinny hands & fingers so i was able to wedge my hand between the trans dipstick tube & the heater core lines & pull it off but like i said - i didn’t have to worry about the metal shield giving me hell. i was able to fit a 1/2 ratchet with a 1/2 - 3/8 reducer & deep 5/8 back to it without an issue & take it out. i couldn’t fit my digi torque adapter back there tho & i have a serious grudge against clique torque wrenches so i hope it doesn’t blow out that would suck but anywho… that’s what i did. lol

dude. 310K… can you believe that? i can’t. i am trying to distract myself from the thought process of “hmm. they’re not supposed to go that long. at all. i’m going to google damage of driving on a failed spark pl——-… stop” lol. it’s like webmding yourself but worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900