Re-circulation Blend Door - where/how/ehh?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The actuators are in different locations depending on the year. 00-02 didn't have dual zone air, so there's only one blend door actuator. On my 2001, is just below the glove box, more towards the center console. It's half way above the transmission tunnel hump. I need to replace mine, as it's been sticking for years. But I've just been unplugging it during the summer after I get it to switch to cool, then it's stuck on cool until I plug it back in. But then it's a hassle when the cold weather comes. I need to get around to replacing it one day.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Gents I could use another set of eyes

I'm at a bit of an impasse where it's not clear what my next step is. Looks like I should be able to scoot the vent tubes out of the way and get all the access I need, but those are held in place by basically the rest of the dash. Needs to clear the right corner to be moved back enough to lift out of the way. But uhh... No space to push it back

Anything obvious I'm missing before I go to the nest step of "the entire thing"?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service manual lists two types - Visteon or Delphi. I have no idea how to tell the difference, so here's the Delphi one as it seems more likely.

Usually the manual lists the hard way to do it, so maybe others will have some guidance.

Attachments

• DELPHI_RECIRC_ACT_REPLACE.pdf
    171.4 KB · Views: 3
  • AIR_DIST_DUCT_RR.pdf
    116.7 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I managed to get it out after just walking away and looking back at it

Ducts have just enough give that I can push them out of the way with my hand and get to everything I needed

Getting the new one in, however.... I'm in f-it-break-things territory right now. Always feels like it's close to getting lined up but never does

Grumble grumble

Need to walk away from this one for an hour or 2 and clear the 'ol noggin

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service manual lists two types - Visteon or Delphi. I have no idea how to tell the difference, so here's the Delphi one as it seems more likely.

Usually the manual lists the hard way to do it, so maybe others will have some guidance.
mmmmm

Yep. literally, step 1, the entire thing lol

1691185701116.png

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to replace the ambient light sensor while you have the dash cover off. Mine is failed so my DRLs never come on; nighttime lights are always on. I’ve learned this is a common failure. It’s my next project. Good luck w your actuator.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oookay

Update

So, it seems to be over-ranging when set to outside-air. Which swings the door towards the interior against some plastic grating.

If I stick my fingers in there and stop the door from ranging all the way, it works fine.

If I remove my fingers and allow it to go to to full-range, issue presents itself again.

So now the question becomes....

How do I constrain the things movement?

OR

Is this doable in software - extend the allowable range such that it won't error?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wooshca01