Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
I’ve fixed something similar before, starter return spring was broken. Vehicle would make a nasty grind, on hard acceleration, and as you stopped backing up. I didn’t figure out where it was coming from until I lifted the front wheels more than a foot higher than the rears, and it started doing it constantly.

So maybe start by trying to find a steep incline to roll up on and see if it does it.

If you can’t duplicate it, and we might be barking up the wrong tree, have you tried brake torquing it in drive and reverse? Maybe there’s a bad motor or trans mount letting something flop around.

so back to the starter idea, you can probably check it without disconnecting the wires at the starter. Just disconnect the battery, pull the 2 starter bolts, pull it out enough you can tip the nose down, if the gear comes sliding down it’s bad.
Alternatively that also gives you a chance to peek at your flex plate, however most I’ve come across are loudest with minimal load and at low idle.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What your saying is exactly what it does when the noise starts. I’ve tried brake torquing and it doesn’t duplicate. I did have it on ramps the other day when I crawled under it and hit the exhaust when it started. I’ll pull the starter next chance I get and check that.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isnt my exhaust and no I haven’t had time to dig into it more. Going to pull the starter next. As suggested by ks03 probably be the weekend before I can.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I know it been a minute but I figured it out. It was the starter. Thanks ks03 for the help. I finally had the opportunity to check it out and swap it today. So nice not to hear that rattle squeaking noise anymore.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Alright I know it been a minute but I figured it out. It was the starter. Thanks ks03 for the help. I finally had the opportunity to check it out and swap it today. So nice not to hear that rattle squeaking noise anymore.

Great to hear you got it figured out. Most folks fix the issue and never report the findings. Thx for following up.