RANT: Spare Tire Secondary Latch!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OMG, Who the HELL designed this? :flame::flame: Whoever it was should be tied up, whipped, shot, whipped again and shot again!
:biggun:
The GOOD news is that I discovered this on a warm Saturday afternoon in my driveway - not in the middle of the night in the pouring rain with my family in the truck! After screwing with the latch for almost 3 hours (yes, I read the manual, watched the YouTube videos, etc), reaching through the license plate hole with a pair of channel locks, sprayed with WD-40, etc etc, I finally gave up and out came the grinder. Ground one of the "ears" off of the wheel holder and it dropped free.

Given that the spare appears to still have the little "hairs" that tires have when new and still has a blue stripe on the tread, I'm guessing the spare has never been used and has probably never even been lowered. 12 years (it's a 2004) the first 8 of them in salty WI, and 137,000 miles meant that the factory spare tire holder was pretty much rusted into position.

I'm guessing that some of you must have discovered this horrible feature the "hard" way when you got a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. You have my sympathy.

So what are most of the rest of you doing with this thing? Repairing with a new part and just keeping it oiled? Grinding off the secondary latch so it won't hang up? Currently my spare is sitting in the back of my truck and it will stay there until I come up with a better solution. We're about to take some long trips pulling a trailer and I'm not going to go without a spare tire.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my seized up hoist years ago with one that looks a little different than the one it replaced like this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2010-C...ne-19259450-/321196440888?fits=Make:Chevrolet

The nice thing about it is that it doesn`t have the secondary latch, You just raise and lower it. They`re not cheap but worth every cent and you can find it cheaper than the one in the link, It was the first one i found.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-22968178-Spare-Wheel-Hoist/dp/B00GU7NTGO

It gets lots of good reviews on amazon.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Mine works but the stupid secondary latch is holding and won't let go. I dis overs this when I did my break lines. I unbolted it for now but still have to get it working again.

OP
OP
Martinjmpr

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my seized up hoist years ago with one that looks a little different than the one it replaced like this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2010-Chevy-GMC-Spare-Tire-Mounting-Hoist-OEM-BRAND-NEW-Genuine-19259450-/321196440888?fits=Make:Chevrolet

The nice thing about it is that it doesn`t have the secondary latch, You just raise and lower it. They`re not cheap but worth every cent and you can find it cheaper than the one in the link, It was the first one i found.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-22968178-Spare-Wheel-Hoist/dp/B00GU7NTGO

It gets lots of good reviews on amazon.

That Amazon link is perfect. I was thinking about getting a Tiregate but those run about $900 and it would be in the way every time I wanted to access the spare.

What I'd like to do right now is to encourage anybody who hasn't checked their spare to make sure you can lower it. It's a lot better to find out that your secondary latch won't release on a warm, sunny day in your driveway than it is to find out the same thing with a flat tire 100 miles from home in the pouring rain. ;)

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
I had one for sale a while back. I think its still sitting in the garage if anyone is interested. Cheaper than eBay price.

muldoon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Follow YouTube instructions at: Stuck spare tire on GM truck by Louisiana Cajun Recipes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elfro