Range AFM - LED light questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjoutlaw

Reaction score
I've had the module about six weeks now. Works as advertised and no issues so far. It has completely stopped the oil consumption issue too. I also have the Jet Power Control Module. Jury is still out on that one though although I am getting 2MPG more.

BigBlueBlah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ran mine for most of a year constantly plugged in. No issues for a long time, no more oil consumption, no notable loss of fuel mileage.

I did eventually start having some weird warning light issues. Take it to a friend who owns a shop, they'd check it and find no codes and no problems. I'd unplug the Range for a day, then all would be good again.

We did that for a bit, then started playing that game with the oil pressure warning. Expected that was the more typical pressure switch issues, but everything we did there checked out ok.
Truck finally did it while they had it. Pulled the Range and the oil pressure was suddenly "fixed".

How it would effect that...dunno. Likely some internal short, maybe frosted across the circuit board one cold morning and was damaged. Id only be guessing.

Co-owner of the shop got into the truck's computer and found a simple method in it to keep the AFM from activating and threw the Range in the console. Since then, no weird warning messages, no oil problems.

That all said, I want to be clear I am not complaining about the Range unit itself. I was very happy with it. It did exactly what it claims to do. I fully expect mine just ended up damaged somehow, likely by me leaving it plugged in constantly in such varying temperatures (ND).

My point is it works well, but don't expect to treat it as a plug-it-in-and-forget-it fix. And if you see warning lights, give it a reset quick before going to your shop about it.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran mine for most of a year constantly plugged in. No issues for a long time, no more oil consumption, no notable loss of fuel mileage.

I did eventually start having some weird warning light issues. Take it to a friend who owns a shop, they'd check it and find no codes and no problems. I'd unplug the Range for a day, then all would be good again.

We did that for a bit, then started playing that game with the oil pressure warning. Expected that was the more typical pressure switch issues, but everything we did there checked out ok.
Truck finally did it while they had it. Pulled the Range and the oil pressure was suddenly "fixed".

How it would effect that...dunno. Likely some internal short, maybe frosted across the circuit board one cold morning and was damaged. Id only be guessing.

Co-owner of the shop got into the truck's computer and found a simple method in it to keep the AFM from activating and threw the Range in the console. Since then, no weird warning messages, no oil problems.

That all said, I want to be clear I am not complaining about the Range unit itself. I was very happy with it. It did exactly what it claims to do. I fully expect mine just ended up damaged somehow, likely by me leaving it plugged in constantly in such varying temperatures (ND).

My point is it works well, but don't expect to treat it as a plug-it-in-and-forget-it fix. And if you see warning lights, give it a reset quick before going to your shop about it.
Interesting issues - what year car/engine and what version on the Range device? Since your shop did something to the ECU to fix, I'm guessing you're out of warranty - correct?

BigBlueBlah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
07 Subutban 5.3. I dont recall version of unit, Ill have to find it to check.

Warning lights issue was random stabiltrac and traction control or check engine and ultimately that oil pressure warning. Never a stored code.

Worked great on the oil consumption problem. Went from a quart per 1000 to less than a quart per oil change, even with a drip.