Random driveline clunk when accelerating from a full stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did driver's side, not toooo bad.
Kinda easy, kinda worried, tired and scraped up feeling after I was done.

jack up truck / put on stands
remove wheel (6 nuts)
remove inner fender liner (4? 7mm screws and maybe 8? or so push pins) a few electrical plugs (push them up with a pliers)
crank steering wheel one way (so you can't possibly clock anything wrong) and remove steering coupler (2 bolts)
destroy mount heatshield so you can see the bolts to block
jack up engine on that side

Now you need the right short extensions/wobbles/angle ratchets whatever to loosen the 7 bolts.
and wiggle the mount out of there!

The H3 mount does have a sleeker heatshield which may make installation a tiny bit easier.

Passenger side looks like starter needs to come out...

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried without disconnecting steering, but could not wiggle the mount out of there!

Now on the pass side..starter out, heatshields off, bolts out (that front lower one was fun, swivel head 72 tooth was useful) and mount is loose!
BUT looking like exhaust manifold has to come out.. unless I loosen the driver side mount and try to lift the engine more..

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did both of mine two week ago. D/S wasn't bad but P/S was p.i.t.a. Lots if YouTube videos showing many different angles of attack. If the exhaust manifold was removed both side would be a cake walk but that's no easy feat on old truck. I would say the below swivel attachments are mandatory to get to the bolts. I also utilized impact tools and used the job as a reason to finally buy a battery powered impact wrench. I paid the dealer $1100 to do the d/s on my Suburban 4 years ago.1000003780.jpg

Attachments

• 1000003915.jpg
    1000003915.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 0

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did both of mine two week ago. D/S wasn't bad but P/S was p.i.t.a. Lots if YouTube videos showing many different angles of attack. If the exhaust manifold was removed both side would be a cake walk but that's no easy feat on old truck. I would say the below swivel attachments are mandatory to get to the bolts. I also utilized impact tools and used the job as a reason to finally buy a battery powered impact wrench. I paid the dealer $1100 to do the d/s on my Suburban 4 years ago.View attachment 424899
Yeah man! I just got one of those a month ago I LOVE IT!

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the hummer ones don't need a heat shield?

I can see how that would make it a bit eaiser to get in. one video I watched the guy had to take the pass side mount itself apart from a bracket to get it in.

not that it matters for you guys, but I have to laugh about having a giant 300v inverter sitting above my passenger side hiding everything lol. but I don't have a stater to remove haha. fml

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hummer heatshield is smaller, inside of bolts instead of enclosing the engine bolts.

I wonder if 4WD has anything to do with getting it out without removing the steering shaft.
@donjetman Did your driver mount come out the side above the frame rail?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz