Question about handling.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devyous1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I apologize now if this isn't the right thread, it's my second day on here. My question is the handling on my 2001 LT. I bought the vehicle in June 2017 from an older gentleman that rarely drove it. It had 90,000 mile when I purchased it. My issue is when you are driving around 50 - 70 mph the truck feels like it is floating and I'm always fighting the steering to keep it straight. After some research and testing the idler (was moving a bit) I replaced the pittman arm, idler and both front sway bar end links. It tightened up the steering a bit, but it still floats and I'm again fighting the steering wheel. Is there a common problem that these things have? Any info or mod would be appreciated.
Thanks.

**Vehicle is stock.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TIE-RODS, very easy to do yourself but will need alignment immediately afterwards.

07 Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then check for uneven tread wear.
I had a 1997 Yukon that had a speed sensitive steering sensor around the steering column that went bad. Not sure if the 2001 model year had it or not. It is a donut/ring/washer shaped sensor that goes around the steering shaft just before it goes through the firewall. When driving, my rig would float, and then it would “catch” and make the steering more responsive. Just throwing this out there as an option. Also my ‘13 suburban would float and walk on me when going around turns at speeds. Lower ball joints were bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645