Is better on-road handling possible without losing Z71's off-road capability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No G65.

So far, I'm thinking:
#1: Still looking for jounce cushion upgrades
#2: Bilstein 5100
#3: Hellwig or Nolathane swaybars (assuming that Nolathane kit works for GMT800?)
in regards to the bump stops you could maybe get neoprene, but the stops do not do much if anything in regards to handling
the 5100's are fine
Hellwig is pretty much top of the food chain, if there was something better I would be using them unless of course they cost some stupid amount of money.

tires are going to be the hardest decision and you might find that even the best rated tires can be total crap, the issue there is cost because if you do not like the tires then you are out a chunk of money as usually once they are installed they are yours unless there is a defect
this means reading a LOT of reviews

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tires are going to be the hardest decision ... might find that even the best rated tires can be total crap ... if you do not like the tires then you are out a chunk of money as usually, once they are installed they are yours unless there is a defect - this means reading a LOT of reviews
So far, only Tire Rack SEEMS to have trustworthy reviews.
Are there any other tire vendors with trustworthy tire reviews or ratings?

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple tire is great they shipped right to my dealer and only 20$ a tire balanced and mounted. Falkens wildpeaks, toyo at2s or 3s, michelin, pirelli scorpion if you need all terrains. Yokohamas are good too. Coopers have been trash for me in the passed and stay away from all the offbrands. Some have had good luck with those offbrands but i won't risk it personally.

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coopers have been trash for me in the past; stay away from all the offbrands.
Some have had good luck with those offbrands but i won't risk it personally.
Never heard or read enough good things about any type of Cooper tire to consider them.

As for the off-brands ...
I wish I actually knew the offbrands' real affiliations.
They're much tougher to decipher than that Maserati that looked an awful lot like a Chrysler K-car because it actually was one.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never heard or read enough good things about any type of Cooper tire to consider them.

They're much tougher to decipher than that Maserati that looked an awful lot like a Chrysler K-car because it actually was one.
Cooper used to be a very good tire. They were bought out by Goodyear I believe, a few years ago. I’ve heard nothing positive since that.

Davidj281

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I second the Hellwig swaybars. Awesome. Get them and the Spohn front sway bar links.
Spohn lower control arms and canard bars help also.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pretty much any site is going to put the best reviews first, but you have to read the bad as well, be sure to read the full spectrum 5 stars, 1 star and everything in between.
sometimes the same tire is used on a small car and on suv's, the desired performance can differ between the two
most sites do not differentiate reviews between sizes and only the model and sometimes only the brand
a 18" tire and a 24" tire are going to be completely different performance wise.
some tires are hard, some are medium and some are soft. rated mileage will be more with a hard tire and less with a soft tire.
grip will be different as well. a medium hardness tire will have the best grip, soft tires wear quickly, have less grip and may even bend out of shape in a turn, hard tires have the best mileage but less grip
load ratings are different across the board, I would look at what the oem tire load rating is and try to match it or beat it
some tires now have a new classification instead of m/s it might be mountain peaks
it's a mess and I wouldn't rule out offbrands some can be great and some obviously terrible, generally the less popular the less reviews you find.
Michelin for instance is a VERY popular tire brand, however they are way too hard of a tire for me and how I drive.
Toyo is also a very popular brand, I tried some and that was the scariest tire I have ever driven on.
only advice I can really give you is pick a tire that you feel will suit your driving style and driving environment (find a happy medium).
once you pick a tire, then shop around for the best price, on sale, manufacture rebate etc.
then once you have your best online price, call around to some local shops and ask them what the "cash" price is, presuming you are in a position to pay cash
the tire shop down the road from me will match or beat anyones price and they are just a single no name blo jo shop plus free rotations and repairs included.
if I pay cash there is no tax

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have decent experience with good year as of late. Best prices on goodyear are at walmart.com but i wouldn't get them installed there just ship to store. Mainly went to simple tire because of road hazard warranty....I'm A SUCKER FOR WARRANTIES.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just tossing in a question. What is it about abrupt lane changes or other maneuvers that has you worried? What ruled out lowering your center of gravity? Tons of great advice here from some very experienced folks.

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is it about abrupt lane changes or other maneuvers that has you worried?
What ruled out lowering your center of gravity?
Tons of great advice here from some very experienced folks.
Well, it's one thing to know that it's a Tahoe Z71, not a Tahoe PPV / Tahoe Limited, and certainly not a Caprice 9C1 / PPV ... on paper.
It's quite another to drive this truck, and kinaesthetically notice its reluctance to assertive lane changes & 'threading needles' in traffic compared to my old Caprices.

But there's more to it than the extra 1500lb and the ride height.

Already mentioned that I'm interested in UPGRADING, not merely maintaining / replacing the following:
#1: Jounce cushions have disintegrated ... if at all possible I'd like to find upgrades
#2: Bilstein 5100 seems like an upgrade over the 4600, which is exactly how I like it
#3: Hellwig or Nolathane swaybars ... unless I find another trusted respected brand of kit.

The day I test drove the Z71, it had snowed A LOT, which demonstrated the advantages of the Z71's higher center of gravity.
Before I lower it - which seems somehow easier to get wrong than #1 #2 & #3 above - I want to try those upgrades first.

For whatever it's worth, I already lowered it a lil bit - see my sig.
Surprisingly, ride quality didn't get any worse, except for the occasionally horrible road.

Long story short, I'm not yet ready to lower it; that needs (for me at least) MORE research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts