Is better on-road handling possible without losing Z71's off-road capability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No longer interested in either lowering or raising it.

Recently did GMT900 front brake upgrade. The braking performance improvement has reduced my fear of driving it considerably.
However, the thought of emergency lane changes still make me somewhere between nervous and uncomfortable.
(Majority of my driving experience has been accrued driving mid '90s Caprice 9C1s with LT1s.)

While upgrading the front brakes, my mech and I noticed the following things need maintaining (by maintaining, I mean UPGRADING; see front brake upgrade):

#1: Front jounce cushions disintegrated / pulverized. Can a Tahoe's front jounce cushions be upgraded with those from a Suburban, maybe a 2500?
If not, what other reasonably priced possibilities are there?

#2: All four shock dampers have rusted off nearly all of their red paint, one looks like it's just begun leaking a wee lil bit.
Are there Bilstein shock dampers available? Anything else considered a good bang for the buck in terms of longevity / durability?

#3: What swaybar upgrades are available? I know the improvements here can be considerable.

(#4: No immediates concern for either front torsion or rear coil springs, for now ...)

My hope / goal is better on-road handling, while preserving most of if not all of the Z71's inherent off-road prowess.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No longer interested in either lowering or raising it.

Recently did GMT900 front brake upgrade. The braking performance improvement has reduced my fear of driving it considerably.
However, the thought of emergency lane changes still make me somewhere between nervous and uncomfortable.
(Majority of my driving experience has been accrued driving mid '90s Caprice 9C1s with LT1s.)

While upgrading the front brakes, my mech and I noticed the following things need maintaining (by maintaining, I mean UPGRADING; see front brake upgrade):

#1: Front jounce cushions disintegrated / pulverized. Can a Tahoe's front jounce cushions be upgraded with those from a Suburban, maybe a 2500?
If not, what other reasonably priced possibilities are there?

#2: All four shock dampers have rusted off nearly all of their red paint, one looks like it's just begun leaking a wee lil bit.
Are there Bilstein shock dampers available? Anything else considered a good bang for the buck in terms of longevity / durability?

#3: What swaybar upgrades are available? I know the improvements here can be considerable.

(#4: No immediates concern for either front torsion or rear coil springs, for now ...)

My hope / goal is better on-road handling, while preserving most of if not all of the Z71's inherent off-road prowess.
the jounce stops/bumb stops are easily replaceable
hellwig makes solid sway bars and those help a lot (front & rear)
some sport tires help also, offroad/all terrain or junk tires get you nothing but spun out or in a ditch, unless you live where there is snow or have some other reason then you don't need them
bilsteins are good 5100's or 4600's for the front & rear UNLESS you have the nivomats (self-leveling) on the back those are unmatched.
I run the goodyear eagle sport a/s, couldn't be happier

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Z71 won't have the Nivomat shocks in the back; those are for the Premium Smooth Ride. If you need to convince yourself, look at your RPO codes and see that G65 is missing.

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No G65.

So far, I'm thinking:
#1: Still looking for jounce cushion upgrades
#2: Bilstein 5100
#3: Hellwig or Nolathane swaybars (assuming that Nolathane kit works for GMT800?)

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
No G65.

So far, I'm thinking:
#1: Still looking for jounce cushion upgrades
#2: Bilstein 5100
#3: Hellwig or Nolathane swaybars (assuming that Nolathane kit works for GMT800?)
Oops--thought you had a gmt900. I have the Hellwigs and love them.

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only piece of a GMT900 that interests me as of now, is the central seat.
With the center console storage compartment / cassette player gone, there's now room for it between the front seats.

Back to the suspension, still have some questions:
#1: Is there such a thing as an upgrade beyond OE for the front jounce cushions?
#2: Is the Bilstein 5100 a wise choice if I am NOT lifting my Z71?
#3: Are there any other RESPECTED swaybar options besides Hellwig or Nolathane?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm thinking that stiffer sway bars -- or just stiffening the suspension as a whole -- might negatively impact the off-road suspension response. Now I'm not sure how much or what type of off-roading you do, but the tradeoff is something to consider.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that stiffer sway bars -- or just stiffening the suspension as a whole -- might negatively impact the off-road suspension response.
Now I'm not sure how much or what type of off-roading you do, but the tradeoff is something to consider.
So far, the limit of my off-roading has been limited to using 4Hi in winter conditions where FWD & RWD vehicles are stopped and stuck, and AWD vehicles are slowed but not stopped.

The next tires I buy will be selected prioritizing their capabilities in rain snow and ice over mud & dirt.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hellwig front and rear sway bars, if they are available for GMT800. The improvement in handling is substantial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo