Push Rods? I think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rgranad1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ive just recently overhauled my 2000 chevy tahoe 5.3 V8 and it doesnt want to idle right if i hit the gas it stays on and everything but once i let off the gas it wants to stall out, i called my dad over for some advice and he told me it could be that i tightened the rocker arms on the push rods too tight, i told him thati would wait for tomorrow when were both off of work to come look at it and that a friend of mine told me that i should add fuel stabilizer and check to see if my throttle body was clean and free of gunk but he checked it and the throttle body is clean and he said he still thought it was that i over tightened the arms does anyone have anything that could help me with this problem im having????

OP
OP
rgranad1

rgranad1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you think it would be a leak from the intake???

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

sounds like a vacuum leak to me...
you think it would be a leak from the intake???

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
could be, also could be many things, but does the motor sound good, hear any sucking noises?

sully

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine did that for a couple days after it sat at the paint shop for almost a month with the batteries unhooked. It cleared itself up after a day or two of driving.

TunasTwins

2005 Tahoe LS
Reaction score
could be MANY things. One idea I have: check the IAC counts. If the TB stop was adjusted, the idle air control valve may be out of whack. What happens when you switch the AC on?

HMFDZ28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does sound like a Vaccum leak or the IAC is shot. Thats where I would start. Is it popping any codes?

Just for reference on Gen 3 motors the rockers mount to a rail and are torqued down (forgot the Ft/lbs) with the piston at dop dead center. They are not adjusted like the Gen 1&2 motors.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low idle is usually an easy fix. There is a PCM calibration update you need from the dealer and then you need to clean the throttle body. The throttle body is the biggest problem, but the PCM update (if it has never been updated) has corrections for idle stability. Really need both to fix the problem completely.