Problem with vette servo!!! HELP!?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami-Yukon

'96 Z71 YUKON 2DR
Reaction score
Problem with vette servo!!! HELP!?!?! (PROBLEM SOLVED THANKS TO ALL!!!!)

I just finished installing the corvette billet servo in my 96 Yukon with the 4L60E transmission and it shift great until I get to 3rd and it WON'T shift into OD?!?!

Does anyone know why or have had this problem? It worked fine through all gears before I installed the servo?

HELP?!?!?!

Last edited:

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it tuned? i put my servo on right before i tuned mine. my tuner messed with the tranny to adjust firmness and shift point. untuned trans may not know what to do with the servo, (in my opinion)

T-Bagg

The Esca-Hoe driver.
Reaction score
Monster Transmission sells transmission rebuild kits that include the Corvette servos. These kits also include new electronics and shift programming. I'm planning on getting it... eventually, funds/time permitting. You could email them, they may have the answers you need.

http://www.monstertransmissions.com/

OP
OP
Miami-Yukon

Miami-Yukon

'96 Z71 YUKON 2DR
Reaction score
Is it tuned? i put my servo on right before i tuned mine. my tuner messed with the tranny to adjust firmness and shift point. untuned trans may not know what to do with the servo, (in my opinion)

No, it's not tuned. Don't think that the transmission would not know what to do, I believe that it just changes the pressure in the transmission, which makes it shift firmer.. but I'm not a mechanic.

Monster Transmission sells transmission rebuild kits that include the Corvette servos. These kits also include new electronics and shift programming. I'm planning on getting it... eventually, funds/time permitting. You could email them, they may have the answers you need.

http://www.monstertransmissions.com/

I can look, thanks!

I looked and that is just the install which is exactly what I did...

Know here's the kicker ....

Today I'm driving around and I get a Check Engine Light !
Code - P1870 (Transmission Slippage)
Some of the write ups say it's from harsh shifting between 1st & 2nd....

Can someone piont me in the right direction, for know I'm gonna remove the servo & re-install the original one and see if it fixes the Check Engine code & problem with not shifting into Over Drive (OD)....

Any mechanics out there with tech info!!!!!! Any help would be great!

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference between 3rd and 4th gear is the band being applied. That's done by the servo. I would pull it and make sure it's definitely in there correctly and you didn't rear a seal. Make sure it's together right too ... I have a Vette servo in my rebuilt 4L60E, no tune (95 TBI) and it shifts great. You don't need a tune to make it work.

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the o-rings!! a leaking one will cause major problems. i also have a 95 tbi stock tranny with really high mileage and no tune is necessary. it shifts fine

OP
OP
Miami-Yukon

Miami-Yukon

'96 Z71 YUKON 2DR
Reaction score
The difference between 3rd and 4th gear is the band being applied. That's done by the servo. I would pull it and make sure it's definitely in there correctly and you didn't rear a seal. Make sure it's together right too ... I have a Vette servo in my rebuilt 4L60E, no tune (95 TBI) and it shifts great. You don't need a tune to make it work.

I think I'm just gonna pull it out & throw the stock one back in for now & see if it works correctly.... I do t know how many miles are on the tranny but the truck had 176 & change when I put the new motor in, so maybe the servo is too much for the mileage on the tranny that's it's causing problems, hopefully this isn't gonna cost me $1K for a rebuild now, even though I probably need it anyway because I noticed a small amount of fluid near the starter like almost dripping down from above it onto it..... I let you know & I know no tune is needed, i've done these on the last couple trucks I've owned....

check the o-rings!! a leaking one will cause major problems. i also have a 95 tbi stock tranny with really high mileage and no tune is necessary. it shifts fine

I looked at the o-rings on the servo kit itself and no leaks, I installed the new o-rings from the kit....

Even though I'm pretty sure it's installed correctly, does anyone have a picture of the way the servo is actually installed or put together before it's put back in?

Thanks for all the info & feedback though guys! The info is really appretiated!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami-Yukon

Miami-Yukon

'96 Z71 YUKON 2DR
Reaction score
I don't have any of mine but a quick search found these:

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98029

Well that defintely helped and explained it... In the very last picture of it put together, I have the middel section with the red o-ring in bass ackwards! Hopefully it didn't screw up the transmission!!! If not I'm screwed with a $1K rebuild bill!!! Aaaahhhhhh!!!!!

Thank u very much sir!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vabc