Problem with passenger front seat belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having issue with front passenger seat belt with my 2004 z71 Tahoe with leather interior. It has the seat belts incorporated into the seats.

Issue is that when someone is sitting in the seat with seat belt on, if they try to lean forward, it is locked. I guess it is the sudden stop/accident mechanism that activates. You have to unbuckle seat belt, let it retract, then pull it back. It seems like just a lubrication issue but how do you access the seat belt mechanism? I could not figure it out and FMS is not very helpful.

Thanks.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this:

To remove the child restraint, just unbuckle the vehicle’s
safety belt and let it go back all the way. The safety
belt will move freely again and be ready to work for
an adult or larger child passenger.

Seems like there is a locking mechanism designed for putting a child seat in front passenger. Wonder if this might be the issue. Pg 1-68 of the manual for 2004 tahoe/suburban.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing, unfortunately. Problem was occurring more when a friend was in passenger seat. But wife says it only happens occasionally. Maybe not as bad a problem as I thought. But i searched and found nothing about how to do maintenance on seat belts. probably due to liability, it is a throw out part. I could not even find out how to remove assembly if you had to replace. Maybe you just throw out the whole front seat.