Backward mount front passenger bench seat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello - My son, who is getting ready to graduate from college wants to take a couple month road trip. He is planning to "pimp" our 2007 suburban 1500 into a living space. He recently was wondering about whether he could take the front passenger bench seat and reverse mount it, so it faced backwards. This would give him a place to sit while inside, without using up the back "living" space. After scouring the Internet, I haven't been able to find anyone who even asked this question, so I thought I'd ask here.

Anyone have any ideas on the feasibility of doing this?

Thanks,

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably easiest to do with do different seat. aftermarket seats and brackets are crazy adjustable.

or measuring the bolt/stud spacing, hit a junk yard and find something like a Honda seat that's comfortable and fits well.

you can also just weld up a bracket if you're sure no one will be riding in it while driving.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello - My son, who is getting ready to graduate from college wants to take a couple month road trip. He is planning to "pimp" our 2007 suburban 1500 into a living space. He recently was wondering about whether he could take the front passenger bench seat and reverse mount it, so it faced backwards. This would give him a place to sit while inside, without using up the back "living" space. After scouring the Internet, I haven't been able to find anyone who even asked this question, so I thought I'd ask here.

Anyone have any ideas on the feasibility of doing this?

Thanks,
One problem is that the setback will obscure the view out the windshield on that side so you'd need a seat that can either swivel in place or fold forward if mounted in a rear-facing position.

I think I'd be looking toward the aftermarket for this. Or simply remove the pax side of the bench (if that's possible), and put a beanbag over there.

OP
OP
B

bfin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. We'll talk it over and figure out a way forward. I like the bean bag option :) but he might have other thoughts.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could probably just grab a late 90's astro van or safari fairly cheap and convert it, those things will go 400k, comfortable and the design is not half bad.
they stopped making them in 2005

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Not sure where you live but my first suggestion would be to visit a limo factory in person or online. Since limo companies prefer to use GM Burb, Yukon XL & Esky ESV as their platforms now vs stretched towncars, the customisation factor is practically endless.

Obviously you’re kids not doing a party limo or overland vehicle but you need to get a look at the latest and greatest tech and products so you can duplicate what’s going to work best for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20