Powder coat ripoff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I want to get both bumper powder coated gloss black. I have searched and made about 12 phone calls and there is only one place within 250 miles that does small stuff, everyone else only does oilfield/piping work.

I asked about prices and they said about $75 per bumper. I thought awesome, but when I went up there they said oh...we have to fire burn (not sure if that's what it was called, but that's what I remember) them to remove the chrome and that will be $150 a bumper.

So, I am looking at $450 total to get two bumper coated. From everything I have read on here that is a huge ripoff, but since they are the only company that will do it I guess I don't have much choice. Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions to get them to lower the price or if that seems fair.

Thanks

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my chrome 22" wheels sandblasted then sent to the powder coater. They are holding up great. Try and look into places that do sandblasting before taking them in for PC. I paid $180 out the door for SB and PC so $450 sounds pretty steep to me.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ this ...

Especially since sandblasting is usually the more expensive part of powder-coating.

Btw Jason, how did you get to $450?
You haz three bumpers? :think:

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
rip off.... Powder coat is cheap as shit to buy, its the gas/electric to run the heaters that is expensive plus media blasting stuff...

Never heard of burning it off, but media blasting does fine, not sure what the hell they are thinking..
Also dont be afraid to paint them. Powdercoat isnt super strong where its not going to chip off (it does).. paint chips off as well and is relatively cheaper too

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just went though the same thing. Sandblasting was not recommended. They said the best way is to dip the chrome and strip it, then PC it. Costs weren't bad tho. $30/wheel

OP
OP
MrBalll

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ this ...

Especially since sandblasting is usually the more expensive part of powder-coating.

Btw Jason, how did you get to $450?
You haz three bumpers? :think:

$150 per bumper to burn off chrome then $75 a piece to coat. I think that makes $450, maybe not. I was very angered at that price estimate so math wasn't on the mind at the time. :emotions122:

Thanks for all the info though, everyone. I currently have the Shadow kit on them, but I want it solid black so I don't know if I should spray some adhesive promoter onto the current shadow paint, already rough surface so I wouldn't think I'd need to sand, and then just do a black paint and and continue to paint over when it chips, since paint is only like $6 a can.

Edit: Looks like quite a few places around me do sandblasting so I may call them first and see about prices and if they will do a small job like mine. If not, I may do like Atomic said and just paint it.

Last edited:

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
You would deff need to sand, prime, adhesion promote, paint and clear. unless you go the cheapest way possible. rattle cans

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700