Possible to add transmission temp gauge? (ATTN: Those who've taken clusters apart)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to add the transmission temperature gauge to a cluster without replacing the cluster? I haven't had a full size truck cluster apart, but I have a feeling the spot for the stepper motor is there and I wonder if I can just solder a stepper motor into that spot and get the overlay from a 2500 and have the gauge working. This isn't something like super necessary, but I think it would be nice to add if it's that simple. I'm fixing to buy the white Denali needles and might buy the Escalade lens if the part number is still good and depending on price. I'm not interested in spending $300 for an Escalade cluster and then have to send it off to get the mileage set (especially when I don't really even like the gauge face on the Escalade cluster).

MeanGreen03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, just solder in a stepper motor and get an overlay with the temp range.

ntxstallion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am looking to gain this option but have found an 02 Esky (heard you have to match years) guage with black face and blue lighting on ebay. I figured the 300 would be cheaper than me trying to do it myself with no knowledge of soldering or the such.

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this as well, works great. I bought a white gauge face for a 2500 HD. It has the face for the tranny temp. I got from USSpeedo, the only issue with that is the gauge face says "diesel" on the fuel face.

You'll have to pop the needles, remove the stock face and solder a new stepper motor in the proper place. Then reset the needles (follow directions that came with new face, usually takes a few tries).

I'd also get a few stepper motors, I got 6 for $24 on eBay. When I removed the needles, on a few of the motors, the shaft came out with the needle. This is bad. You can pop the tops off the motors and re-mesh the shaft gear, but I found this didnt work well. So, I just replaced those motors.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

A good write-up: http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=19909

The good news is that my tranny hasn't gotten over 150 yet. That was in hot weather with ac going. But I added mine after my summer towing season. I got the Tahoe in August. So, hopefully, my tranny stays relatively cool towing boat this summer.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent! I figured it was that easy I just wanted to verify. I've bought a 2500HD gasser overlay and a set of white Denali needles. I made an offer on stepper motors, I might go ahead and replace them all while I have the cluster apart since this truck has 103k on the original cluster. I'll be taking my Trailblazer's cluster apart again to install LEDs so I might replace the steppers in it too.

Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At minimum, i would replace the speedo and tach motors while you're in there. I've had to replace the speedo motors in quite a few of these trucks.

Got a couple of speeding tickets because the damn motor started dying, making the speedo read low!

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't have a Trans temp gauge, then I got the eBay rebuild with the Esky conversion and now I have a working TT gauge. IMO it's woth the money to know the full rebuild was done right and there are no inaccuracies.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what is used to make the Denali cluster backlighting blue? Is it a blue ****** over the bulb or is it in the overlay? I worked on a 05 Sierra Denali today and I guess I never noticed the backlight color before.

denali.jpg

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my Esky gauges, it's in the overlay, but I got a conversion, so I don't know how helpful that is.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Escalade gauges light up that color too? I guess I never noticed that either. I think the overlay I got is out of a HD truck so I guess it won't light up like that then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mack10432

Latest posts