Possible ground issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Double0Redneck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently I had to do a complete engine build on a 2015 6.2 LT in a Yukon Denali for a broken valve spring resulting in a dropped valve. Since getting it back in the road I've had a few electrical gremlins. Mainly throwing a P0420 catalyst low efficiency code that wasn't there before the new engine but showed up immediately after. I found this ground wire loose today. It bolts to the front of the block on the driver's side right above the vaccum pump, just under the number 1 spark plug. There looks to be 3 or 4 ground wires in this bundle. Does anyone know what these grounds are for? TIAIMG_1604.jpeg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have no idea what the grounds are for but I am assuming you checked for cleanliness and corrosion and then tightened them down and cleared the code and drove and did the CEL/code come back?

OP
OP
D

Double0Redneck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have no idea what the grounds are for but I am assuming you checked for cleanliness and corrosion and then tightened them down and cleared the code and drove and did the CEL/code come back?
I did remove the bolt and checked the connectors for corrosion and replaced the bolt and tightened it down. I cleared the pending codes but have not driven it yet.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I did remove the bolt and checked the connectors for corrosion and replaced the bolt and tightened it down. I cleared the pending codes but have not driven it yet.
You may have fixed it and not know it yet. Please drive and report back. I hope/assume you did inspect the grounds at back of engine close to firewall?

OP
OP
D

Double0Redneck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You may have fixed it and not know it yet. Please drive and report back. I hope/assume you did inspect the grounds at back of engine close to firewall?
Yes, those grounds are good. They were reconnected when I put the new engine in, along with the ground connected to the a/c compressor bracket and to the passenger side of the block just ahead of the starter.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my engine in my 2008 the check engine light came on. The code was for oxygen sensor. I replaced all 4 OEM and all was good. I didn’t have any oxygen codes before I replaced my engine.

OP
OP
D

Double0Redneck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I replaced my engine in my 2008 the check engine light came on. The code was for oxygen sensor. I replaced all 4 OEM and all was good. I didn’t have any oxygen codes before I replaced my engine.
I may have to try that. I'm just not much on throwing parts at a problem in hopes that it cures it. Looking at live data, all 4 O2 sensors are reading voltage, from around 85mV to 900mV but it never goes into closed loop and the down stream sensors constantly fluctuate as fast as the upstream sensors.

salisburyv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, bad grounds can cause a lot of grief. First, how many miles are on the vehicle? it is possible, due to the bad valve, that a bunch of unburnt fuel could've gotten past the cylinder and messed up the cat. How long was it run for when you suspected something was wrong? it might be a bad cat. sorry to say....

OP
OP
D

Double0Redneck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well, bad grounds can cause a lot of grief. First, how many miles are on the vehicle? it is possible, due to the bad valve, that a bunch of unburnt fuel could've gotten past the cylinder and messed up the cat. How long was it run for when you suspected something was wrong? it might be a bad cat. sorry to say....
It has approximately 115K. It had just over 114K when it dropped the valve and it ran for about 10-15 seconds before it locked up. It's actually showing codes P0420 and P0430. Dropped valve was on #2 cylinder so I could see the possibility of an issue on the right bank, but not both banks at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts